Help needed in choosing Proc / MB / Ram for a gaming system

Alex Leyzar

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
Hello guys,

Needless to say i am trying to build a new system and need some help.
The system will be used for gaming mostly. (this system WILL BE OCd)
I have a few issues i need to clear up before placing my part order.

1) Haswell i7 4770k vs Ivy Bridge i7 3770k.
I know... i know there are tons of threads with this question, please allow me to ask it again.

-I have seen the benchmarks ... little to no difference from what i can gather, the 4-7% performance difference dose not impress me, is my info correct ?

-For overclocking is ivy better or not ?
I see tons of opinions .. some say this some say that.... witch is it ? ... and is it a big gap between the 2 overclocking-wise ?
I am not a pro OC-er but i would like to give it a go, from what i have read here it seems that you don't really shorten the lifespan of the proc as long as you keep it cool and don't turn up the voltage to much, is this info true ?
Now i know every chip is different but could you give me a... lets say a "safe set" of OC variables ?
I will keep this config for at least 3 years so i would very much like not to fry it.

-At the end of the day witch is better for gaming ?
I will have in this system a good graphics card, witch i haven't decided yet.

-This moronic (imo) "haswell certification"
My PSU is a Seasonic M12 SS 700, yes its a older model but it runs so good i don't see why i should change it. Do i need to change it if i go for a haswell ? Do you consider this PSU obsolete and should i change it anyway ?
From what info i gathered i understand that non certified PSUs will work just fine if you turn off the C7 low power bla bla bla. What i did not manage to find out is What do i lose if i have to turn off the C7 low power bla bla bla ? If its just the case of consuming a little more power and dose not affect the performance and stability of my system please let me know.

-Tampering with the CPU.
I have seen some info witch states that the high temps of the ivy/haswell CPU is due to low quality thermal paste between the CPU and the metal shield. There are some that suggest removing the shield and replacing the thermal paste with a better one...this is said to give a very good temp decrease. Is this procedure advisable and dose it actually give impressive results ?

-My thermal solution of the proc is the Noctua D14. Is my choice appropriate ? if not could you recommend something else ?

2) Motherboard Recommendation.
Now i have selected a few of these, i would very much appreciate your thoughts on them as-well as a recommendation or 2. I want to OC and i want a good set of features.

-Ivy
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP4 TH
ASRock Z77 OC Formula
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H-WB
Asus SABERTOOTH Z77

-haswell
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-OC
Gigabyte G1.Sniper M5
Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Asus Z87-PRO
ASRock Z87 Extreme6
Asus SABERTOOTH Z87
MSI Z87-GD65 GAMING

3) Ram Recommendation.

-XMP or no XMP ? would it be ideal for the memory to be designed to work at its best parameters with XMP or should i just go for something that support natively what i want / need ? (ddr3 1600 mhz or above with cl9 at max, 1.5 to 1.65)
-Will it matter if i get ECC or Non-ECC memory ? As i understand it ECC memory is a must have for servers and workstations and such, how will this choice affect a gaming pc ?

-Now... because and if i am going to use the Noctua D14 i am going to need low profile ram.
I found such ram at Corsair and Kingston, both at 1600 Cl9 with 1.5v.
As i'm sure you know there are many versions, especially for kingston.
You have your Corsair Vengeance LP witch come in blue and grey/black, or Corsair XMS 3. On the other side you have your kingston hyperx blue/black/red , genesis, anniversary.
Now... what i do not understand even after browsing the manufacturers websites.
Witch are better ? the blue ones ? the red ones ? the black ones ? witch ??? This really gave me a headache as i can see no real difference between most of them as spec-wise they seem to be exactly the same. I hope you guys will help me clear up this issue.

Final Note : Where i live the price for haswell / ivy PROCs and MBs is exactly the same, so there is no price consideration

Thank You for taking the time to read all or some of this, i honestly appreciate the help.

P.S.
My old core 2 duo E6850 is running at 73 degrees in full load and idles at 48 degrees.... how bad is it ? can i just leave it like this or should i get a better cooling solution asap (its running on the stock cooler witch i know is not great) ?

If you are gaming get an i5 not an i7. there is no benefit to an i7 in gaming because games do not and will not hyper thread.

Don't get a sabertooth board. They are a hoax and actually overheat with the thermal armor. It is also VERY overpriced.

Get 8gb 1600mhz RAM with low-profile/ no heat sinks.

Alex Leyzar

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013

Thank you for the answer,
I have changed my plan to a i5 and scratched saber of the list
Now...i dont understand why do you recommend no heat sinks at all ? ...what would be the issue in some LP heatsink corsairs ?

Heatsinks on ddr3 RAM are purely for show. DDR3 RAM will never get hot enough to have any issues. LP heatsinks will be perfectly fine.