best graphics card for a lighting and rendering artist in maya

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
hi guys, for my previous doubt there was good responce from tom's and im satisfied a lot with tom's suggestion ... as i follow tomshardware a lot i like your benchmark techniques and suggestions on system hardware optimisation a lot .

i have a doubt regarding workstation graphics card , im a lighting and rendering artist and maya is my tool, i hav i7 3820(4.6ghz), 16gb vengeance, ocz vertex 3 ssd, for a regular usage and gaming my pc does great job .

now all i wanted is to focus on my profession so i decided to purchase a workstation card for my system, my budget is around $1000-1200 . can u guys suggest a good workstation graphics card from latest nvidia quadro or amd firepro ... im intrested in quadro more as im a fan of nvidia .

" is my system totally compatable for rendering and lighting job ? "

if not give me suggestions for a workstation configuration .. thank you tom's

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Quadro cards are better for Maya than Geforce cards are, due to their architecture. There are just two big options for you right now;

The Quadro K4000 is a workstation card for $754 . The next step up is a Quadro K5000 which retails for a whopping 1778.88 on Amazon.

Get the Quadro K4000 and pocket the savings on a new monitor for that professional work. Geforce cards (Especially the Kepler cards) are crippled in their Compute performance and rendering is "precision computing" so Quadro cards are designed for that usage.

Here is the Maya benchmark from the latest Tom's Hardware review of the GTX 760:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-760-review-gk104,3542-17.html
OPENGL-Maya-2013.png

More benchmarks here:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474-4.html
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gtx-titan-opencl-cuda-workstation,3474-5.html

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
aah guys i wana use viewport 2.0 and if possible i wana try maya 2014 and dx11 shader ... so it would be wise if i chose quadro ... more over im intrested in elimental lighting so i wana work with fluids in maya ... for all these i think i need quadro or other "workstation" card .

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Quadro is the only Nvidia product line that supports workstation class graphics. Yes Quadro's will me better. For elemental lighting, a ray tracing card is nice but they are expensive. Yes. Go with Quadro.

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
Hey basch99 .. thanks for your advice previously i madeup my mind to purchase quadro k4000 for ma pc .... but im in a fresh confusion rite now ... i recently came through www.apple.com and i saw their new mac pro ... im very intrested in it ... and im a fan of apple ... i never had a mac pro ... wat would u suggest me ... shall i purchase quadro k4000 or if at all i wait n plan for a mac pro is it worth ? Because i cant afford autodesk maya license ... instead i can buy two brand new work stations for that price ... so i got maya student edition rite now ... i heard a lot abt maya performance on apple macs ... nobody suggests to use a mac ... i donno wats wrong with that but i wana try a mac with windows 7 bootcamp and maya on it ... please give me indetailed xplanation of maya on pc and mac and on bootcamp windows 7 ... if i can run maya 2013 on windows 7 bootcam on mac i seriously wana give a thought abt new mac pro ... please suggest me . Thank you .

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hello. So you are interested in the new Mac Pro? No worries. That Mac is setting up to be a real beast. Despite the trash can exterior, it houses some serious hardware. You should consider it for Maya. After all, Apple's technical specs are just like Windows PCs except for their overpriced OS built into the cost (main reason why macs are more expensive aka the "Apple Tax") I have used Macbook Pros and the Retina Macbook Pro before; I used to own one (2011 version but sold it) so I can speak for the Apple experience. Maya is still better on Windows though. So, get Boot camp and Mac Pro and it should still be a good workstation. Just be mindful that I don't think the Workstation is going to come under 3K though. I think that desktop will come in at least 3,000 dollars. Not to mention you need Windows, add another 100 to it for Boot Camp. This way you have the best of both worlds. If 3,100 or something is too much for you, the K4000 will still do the job just fine. Just make sure you also have a SSD for faster load times.

Edit: I don't know what the graphics in the Mac Pros use. If they use Radeon cards, look at 3K minimum. If not, look at at least 4K-5K for Mac Pro with Firepro cards. I would still recommend Nvidia for Maya work though.

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
thank you basch99 ... mac pro has always been ma dream to have one ... basing on the situation and budget ... ill go with your suggestion ... im going to purchase nvidia quadro k4000 (im a big fan of nvidia though, donno why i just dont like ati(but i dont hate them), i feel nvidia is cool and innovative :p )

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013

Hey basch99 sorry to bother u again ... i read some article about nvidia maximus technology and tesla computational cards ... does maximus support maya 2013 ? If so what is the cheap and best tesla card that matches with quadro k4000 and what is its price ? Apart from that can i hav real time renders while im practicing my lighting work ... can if render realtime for heavy computational scenes if i hav maximus ??
Im really xcited to know about maximus and its performance for maya 2013 . Thank you for ur previous suggeations i liked them a lot .

COCAYven

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

You are NOT being very specific on which render engine You wish to Use.
Maya render engine is mental ray, mental ray does NOT render on the gpu but the CPU, Unless You want to use Iray and its cudas (You can use cpu too with Iray).
*(keep in mind that cuda cores are low quality transistors, so having 1500 cuda cores "might" not be as good as having 450 decent streaming processors)
*(if You run octacores though You will benefit a lot from the titans 8 enabled streams of its HypeQ, and render on teh GPU super fast with cudas)

Thus if You want to rende rwith Iray the logical card for YOu is NOT a quadro but a titan since it will have more cudas more vram and you wil have confirmation of its performance in Cuda rendering in many benchmarks.

HOWEVER if You are going for mental ray You need a excelent cpus rather than GPU and even a stupid quadro 600 is more than enough.
You might wanna raytrace RT on Your CPU using Caustic visualiser plugin and if ur scenes are high poly buy one of their PCIe acceleration boards that cost 450 for single cpu and 1k for dual....that will also make You wink with a subtle grin on ur face at those who bought a tesla and never got it work on maya and various render engines available to plugin.

As if you still oriented on professional Graphics and You DONT raytrace in cudas and also understand the vast amount of available openCL/openGL around, then You would be way better off spending for an AMD w7000 which costs much less and will kill a K4000 both on single and double precision.

There is a lot of people out there that wanna RT with cudas and thus go for Nvidia products however RT can be just as efficiently be done on the CPU with many available plugins.

Mental Ray is a state of the art render engine and if You wish to RT with it and Model Rt ON it with mental ray materials rendered in Your viewport at all time, a solution like caustic visualiser for 100 dollars is the best thing u can use,
Will make Your workflow 1 zillion times faster than using any other render engine that is not native with maya.

If U model in high polys a 3 gyga K 4000 card is ok , however i would opt for an AMDW7000 for 600 bucks, and add a caustic SR2100 acceleration card for 450 bucks.
You will enjoy ur amd card in any other app too...
and raytrace and handle at ease 30 mill polys with the acceleration card.

This is specific for people Like us who have our coffee in the morning while opening our scenes in Maya, that dont wanna waste time to see their final render results using mental ray.

https://caustic.com/series2/index.html
https://caustic.com/visualizer/maya/

Invest in very good CPUs possibly dual xeons or opterons WITH HUGEST CACHE available(20 for xeons/16 for opterons)*30 M cache secodn generation Xeons wil be in the market from octobe so ONE of those wil perfom as two of the current E5 26xx xeons.
Use good PCIe SSD like revodrive 3 or 3 X2 in raid if u use more hard drives
Keep Yoru system virtual ram at 1 Gyg max if u got at least 16/32 GYgs of RAM on Your system especially if u running 1600 mhz.

Enjoy working fast and checking out Your emails and facebook, while Your machine is doing its final render.

COCAYven

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

The NEw mac bro bin, will run on second generation IVY 26xx xeons wiht up to 12 core and 30m cache.
performance wise one of those will work as two of the current E5 xeons.
It will be paired with firepro graphics, so any open GL directx or NON cuda app wil run super fast on this machine, considering that thunderbolt will bury PCIe systems on the long run.
However You will stil need to run it on a mac so MY best guess is that thsi new machine wil be a superflop(unless OpenCl community will code lot for it and if there is still MAC fans left around that arent iphone fashin victiims) for 3d and welcome for 2d and especially photography, since a bin is as easy to carry as a laptop on any photoshoot.

I wil be very interest at how dell and HP will answer to Apples solution, and if they will drop PCIe and move on into thunderbolt tech we might see a complete NVIDIA downfall on professional card, and have NVIDIA offer ONLY cloud computing rendering on their render farms.
Nvidia Is NOT a CPU manufacturer, while AMD and INtel are, so we if this wil be the case we will see AMD and INtel (yes intel) offer the most amazing graphics solutions for systems that will use thunderbolt rather than PCIe.
If Nvidia would have to conform and still wanna be in the market for thunderbolt graphics systems they would need to go manufacture them at FABs(that would be where the microchips are manufactured) that are regularly visited and join venture with AMD and intel microwave and chemical engineers on a daily basis.
Since Nvidia has put VOlta in their program for 2016 being it a system on chip, My best guess is tht Nvidia will make GPus SOC(system on chip) for thunderbolt systems in on wafers made in IBM FABS in california(or low quality similars in chinese FABS keeping the marketing solution of a lot of low quality CUDA cores vs fewer High quality Cores made by intel and AMD)

p.s. for those of You that still dont understand A GPU in thundebolt......... PCIe wil be replaced By thundebolt on the mother board, so graphic cards WILL NOT be installed anymore as they are NOW on a PCIe, GPU will also come in MUCH MUCH smaller format. NVIDIAs VOLTA is designed for that purpose.

Srikanth7

Honorable
May 24, 2013
hi cocayven .. information was very valuable .. im planing on using mentalray and vray for maya 2013 ... i wan to study the concepts and the internal workflow process of lights .. i wana try different lighting concepts like elemental,continental,exterior,interior,underwater lighting schemes . After studying to what u xplained earlier im thinking to buy ati w7000 or quadro k4000, with an addon card caustic s2100 .. and decided to get the caustic visualiser plugin which is awsome(special thanks for suggesting this) ..

my pc is intel core i7 3820 4.6 , 16gb vengence , ocz vertex 3 128gb ssd , 2+1 tb wd green as backup , on adding the above piece of hardware will my pc be future proof of 5 years ? or do i hav to make any changes to my existing hardware ?

please suggest me required hardware based on mentalray and vray for maya 2013 for lighting and rendering .... thankyou.

waiting very eagerly for ur reply and im running out of time , i hav to make a quick decision please help me .