z77 Motherboard for Overclocking questions

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Assume for the moment that I have an Intel Core i5 3570k and a Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO.

Question: If I wish to OC to 4.0 ghz (4.2 ghz MAX), what Motherboard power phase design is "good enough?"

Please don't list specific motherboards. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this. I did read that OCing the 3570k is limited by temperature which is why I included a CPU cooler. If I need to include something else, please say so.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Just about any -4.2 isn't much, can about do that on stock voltage a lot of that power phase is just hype, take a look at the ASRock Extreme 4, I run mine with a 3570K at 4.7GHz 24/7 and carrying 32GB of 2400 DRAM, idles in low 30s (and I'm in AZ, 100 plus degree the last couple weeks

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013

Do I actually need the Extreme 4? It has the highest power phase of ANY that I've looked at (as well as being the highest priced). Most of the ones in my price range have been 4 + 2 (vs the Extreme 4's 8 + 2).

What in the world are you talking about?

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013

I didn't include a budget or a specific build for a reason--if I do, you'll just recommend the most expensive thing. It might be better, but if I don't NEED to spend the extra I'd rather not.

I'm NOT looking for specific motherboards right now. I'm just looking for information. What is the minimum power phase I need to overclock to 4.2 ghz stable (or if it makes a difference 4 ghz)? How much do I gain by going up one step (same OC)?

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
That would depend on your OC skills, and sorry, no I don't just suggest the most expensive thing, with all my clients we set a budget and build a system within the budget, there's two main reasons I spend time on the forums - to help people and to HELP ME - keep up with all the hardware out there....I'm not one who just throws stuff out just to throw it out and try and get merit badges....One of the big problems here is that so many come in with such vague questions that it encourages people to throw out anything...without information to work with, it's hard to frame a concise answer, so I'll bow out and let the 'experts' jump in, I'm sure you'll get all kinds of interesting answers, as far as what Blackbird said, he was agreeing on the mobo I suggested, which is a good mobo and is priced very reasonably, it sounds like you want a lower end or entry level...

rayden54

Honorable
May 14, 2013
Look, here's the thing, I have read dozens of threads where people ask "which of these motherboards should I get" or "what can I get for x amount of money" and every time the responders pick the most expensive thing, and the thing is, they're right. The more expensive product is better. The question I have is, is it better enough to justify the extra cost?

I would like to spend as little as possible and still get a motherboard that's good enough to do what I want.

Blackbird also mentioned a PSU--and neither one of us did. Hence my confusion.

TRENDING THREADS