23", IPS, 120+Hz, 1ms, 2xHDMI & rotation. Does this Monitor Exist? Can you help me find it?

Manu SS

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Hi, I am looking for a monitor/tv:

FullHD, 23 inch, IPS panel, 120Hz+, 1~ms, 2x HDMI.

· I will use it for both fluent gaming and high quality games. (low Ms response(1 or 2 better) + 120hz or higher, as I ideally look for no ghosting and high fps rate).

·2x HDMI so as i connect both my PC and Playstation to it.

· I already own a 23" narrow border monitor ( http://www.fnac.es/HP-Pavilion-23xi-Monitor-Monitor-LED/a818736 ) and i want to do multitask with 2x screens. As i might use the vertical setting for coding, and also enjoy listening to conferences while exercising ···rotation in both vertical and horizontal sense + narrow border··· would be a good plus.

So the final list would be as title´s:

FullHD, 23 inch, IPS panel, 120Hz+, 1~ms, 2x HDMI.

Desirable extras: Rotation H/V, Narrow borders.

My budget is 350$ but i could go to max 600$~ if it´s worth it.

theagentd

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
IPS screens don't have 1ms GtG, and 99.9% don't have over 60Hz. I'm in the exact same position as you, but the ideal does-everything monitor doesn't exist. The closest thing you can get is getting a 27" Korean monitor (Kawakasi Catleap, 2 or 3 other brands also exist) that are overclockable to 120Hz. Might be worth investigating if you're prepared to take the risk of buying stuff from Korea. Note that some of them don't work well with TVs since some don't have any built-in scaler and only have one DVI connector, no HDMI (all to reduce response time).

If that's not an option, the best you can get for gaming (without resorting to TN) is probably an Eizo Foris FS2333.

Summary: Either get a 120Hz TN gaming monitor, import an overclockable Korean IPS monitor or get an Eizo Foris FS2333.

EDIT: Also, if you're updating from an old/cheap monitor, it doesn't matter which of the above you get when it comes to response time, since they're all going to have lower input delay (that's not the same as the 1-6ms number they hype in the name). For example, if I compare my old AND cheap TN monitorto a brand new 144Hz ASUS TN monitor the difference is around 10ms when running both at 60 FPS, so at 144Hz it'll be closer to 15ms.

Manu SS

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Maybe i am asking too much. I think i will reformulate the request,

I wanted it IPS because I have been using a laptop for 6 years, and the screen certanly changes its color if you dont stay at exactly 90º, and it´s really anoying because even so, I have the perception that the borders of the screen are still shadowed.

The combination of low ms (1to8?) and high refresh rate (120+Hz?) it´s because i want my monitor to be able to both avoid ghosting and alow a high fps rate.

The reason why i want 2x HDMI is because i don´t want to be continuously plugging and unplugging the hdmi for durability reasons, as I will play both Playstation and PC on the same device.

And at last, it would be definetly awesome if i could get these results; don´t mind the hype numbers in the end as long as it´s fast, fluent and good quality, with a decent angle of vision. And if possible, with a Rotating screen, and Narrow borders as extra.

Notice i said good, I have a an i7 3820 with 2x4gb cl7 1600 Ram, running a Gigabyte GTX 650 Ti OC Boost atm, thinking on going SLI in the near future, but no more.

IPS panels simply don't come with that low of a response rate, or that high of a refresh rate. With that said, ghosting is not an issue on IPS panels and it's nearly impossible for the human eye to detect a difference between 60hz and 120hz. A 60hz CCFL/LED IPS panel from LG or Samsung (or rebranded) will look better than almost any TN panel on the market.

This here is probably the best entry level IPS panel

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&sku=320-2807

I have a u3011 (30 inch IPS panel) and wouldn't trade it in for anything. The colour clarity is simply unmatched.

theagentd

Honorable
Jun 23, 2012
I'd like to point out that I see a VERY clear difference between 60 and 144Hz when you actually manage to get that high FPS in shooters since looking around is so twitchy. In videos (with motion interpolation) I see no difference due to motion blur and the in general smoother movement pattern, so specifically for super-sharp games without motion blur it's a big difference.

That being said, I still don't think it's worth getting a 120+Hz TN monitor just for the refresh rate since the colors are so washed out and the view angle is horrible. Plus, the fact that the gamma curve changes with the view angle (at the edges of the screen) ruins anti-aliasing and all.

EDIT: I actually bought that 144Hz monitor and had it running right next to my old one, and I still decided not to keep it even though it was cheaper than usual.

I also recently found the Philips 274E5QHAB 27", which is remarkably cheap for a 27" IPS display. Only 1920x1080 though, but I guess that's why it's so cheap. Can't say how good the latency is on it though (or much at all for that matter).

By far the best no ghosting monitors employ Lightboost or something similar. These only exist on 3D monitors, such as the 3D Vision 2 or Samsung HD3D monitors: http://www.blurbusters.com/zero-motion-blur/lightboost/
The difference between using it not (taken with high speed camera):
CROPPED_LightBoost10-300x100.jpg

CROPPED_60Hz-300x99.jpg

These monitors are all 1080p and TN.

You will not find a 120hz monitor that is HDMI. At least not one that will operate at 120hz with it. Not until HDMI 1.4b is used, which doesn't appear it is going to ever happen.

Manu SS

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

When looking for these 2 kinds i found this one:

http://www.asus.com/Monitors_Projectors/VG248QE/#overview

Seems to be the best option, only that it just has 1x HDMI. Anyone thinks there´s a better option than this one?

So far i doubt between:

· Asus VG248QE
pros: Audio Jack, Rotation.
cons: only 1x HDMI

· Eizo Foris
pros: 2x HDMI
cons: No rotation, no audio jack, huge width.

· BenQ XL2420T
pros: 2x HDMI, Rotation, 4 config modes.
cons: no audio jack.

Any solution??

If you wish to use 3D with your PS3, you may consider the BenQ XL2420TX. I don't believe you can get the PS3 to use 3D on it without the built in emitter, even with the 3D kit. Assuming you plan to use 3D. Otherwise, the BenQ XL2420T is a good option that seems to get better reviews than the ASUS.