mbr corrupt wont boot

bearec

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
windows vista dell inspiron wont boot, says my mbr is corrupt. wont let me restore either error code 0x57 disk metadata repair. Im not worried about loosing anything on my laptop so am prepared to try anything. When U first turn on the message is internalt for multi core processors will be disabled
No bootable devices-- strike f1 to retry boot f2 for setup utility f5 for onboard diagnostics.
I still have the 3 disks I got with the laptop drivers and utilities, windows vista, and application for cyberlink power dvd and dx 8.2 software

Thanks for any help.

nate88

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

You shouldn't lose any data on your drive. It's good you still have the Windows Vista cd as it is relatively simple to fix. Follow these instructions:
http://www.lancelhoff.com/how-to-fix-vista-mbr-repair-broken-vista/

bearec

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013

x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .
x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x . x .

Thank you for your reply. I have followed the instructions but when I get to number 5 the box is empty? There is an option to load drivers. If I click this another box comes up titled add drivers and says insert disc I bypass this and click ok. I then get loads of files come up titled sources. Have you any idea which one I choose? Thanks again for taking the time to reply

nate88

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013

It shouldn't be empty, just as it is in the image of step 5 - Microsoft Windows Vista should appear on a C: drive. It seems to me that it's not finding your disk drive which could be due to a few different problems, either the hard drive is fried or some settings in the bios. Another solution I've seen is that the hard drive could just be loose. Try turning the machine off completely. Unplug everything. Turn the laptop upside down, and remove the battery. On the side where the mic and speaker sockets are, look for 2 screws that hold the drive in. Unscrew those, and pull it out (to the the side), then put it back. If that doesn't work get back to me.