Upgrading CPU question

stark21

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
I currently have a I7 2600 non k, looking to upgrade it to either one of the new AMD FX chips or going with the Haswell chip, not doing any type of video editing mainly gaming. I currently have a GTX 680. which CPU if any will be a boost in performance or will there really not be much gain. I was thinking AMD since I have heard some good things about there new chips.

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Do not upgrade. You still have a great proc. Wait until Haswell-E or Broadwell for a true upgrade.

Edit: do not listen to the previous person. An FX 8320 is an downgrade for you. the 4670K isn't going to be better than your processor either. I know people who are still running Sandy Bridge and they all didn't upgrade. Haswell-E is looking to be great because it offers a SIX core enthusiast grade cores comes unlocked AND with hyperthreading, giving you 12 threads. OR you could step up to a higher CPU with EIGHT cores with the same benefits for a 16 threaded performance. Now That will last you. Next year is set to be a Haswell refresh, NOT Broadwell. Hope this helps!

stark21

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
ok I might just wait alittle longer to upgrade, since I still can do a limited OC on the 2600, just might have to spend some money on upgrading some of the little things.

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
If you want better gaming performance, get a better video card. But then again, your GTX 680 is still a very strong performer. In fact, next year when Haswell-E comes out, you have two choices: get the GTX 880 or second GTX 680 and get great performance or upgrade your CPU to Haswell-E to future-proof your choice of video cards - which means you can extend your choice of video cards by a few YEARS max. Then, again it depends how you want to play your games. If you want highest settings in games, your better with an upgrade to GTX 880. Otherwise, you should consider future proofing your CPU and save the money for the GTX 980 or get a second GTX 680.

stark21

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2006
yeah I am still good on my GPU it still plays everything I have on max without breaking a sweat but I am sure I will be upgrading that as well, it's always fun to build but wish it was cheaper.

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
I get that it is fun to build, hence why I kind of satisfied my craving by building a computer that I don't need lol. That's why I'm selling that desktop now. I learned my lesson. Spend only what you need.