Unable to access highest monitor resolution

Selky

Honorable
Jul 3, 2013
I have an acer x193W (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009127) which is supposed to max out at 1680 x 1050. However, the highest resolution I am able to select is 1440x900. I have the latest drivers for my graphics card (260 gtx). Any help is appreciated!

Display settings

Solution
Asking about the cable was to get more information not necessarily about resolution limitations though there is that possibility. I have a 2560x1440 120hz panel and I use Nvidia control panel to set the custom resolution with the proper hertz. Just because it didn't help you or you don't know how to use it you should act as though it's useless. Nvidia control panel gives more control and more options then windows.

Selky:

If you are using vga you should try dvi instead as dvi is superior (digital) vs dsub/vga which is analog. Also as others have mentioned you could try uninstalling graphics drivers and installing newer / newest Nvidia drivers.

mrdannok

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013
Did you check if the card itself can withstand that high of a resolution? Since your graphic card, lets be honest, in fairly old, it wouldn't surprise me if it couldn't run that resolution. Check on NVidia's website for more info on that graphics card, because honestly, its the only thing tangible as an explanation.

Totalslaughter

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
I found one GTX 260 with max res of 2560x1600 so you should be okay. What type of cable are you using between pc and monitor?

Also you could try set a custom resolution in Nvidia control panel. If it doesn't take you won't be able to see the screen and it will revert back to most recent so nothing to worry about.

mrdannok

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

The type of cable doesn't interfere with the resolution. And the Nvidia control panel doesn't help really, i have a 460gtx and it doesn't do much. Although you can try, it won't hurt. "Try to detach and reattach your GTX 260, then run DXDIAG to check if windows can detect your graphic card. If not, it might be that you have a hardware problem. If windows can detect your device then try reinstalling the driver." Taken from Nvidia's forums. (https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/545221/geforce-300-200-100-series/device-driver-install-failure-gtx-260/)

dingo07

Distinguished
Nvidia control panel is how you configure the card - to say it doesn't really help is poor judgement, or you've never configured your card optimally mrdannok.

It's either a hardware issue like was stated or its a driver issue. Download the 320.18 WHQL driver if you don't already have it, and Driver Fusion and ccleaner. Boot to safe mode and uninstall the card in Device Manager, including all files. Run Driver Fusion and select NVIDIA display and delete all files, running until there's no more files that can be deleted without purchasing the upgrade. Run ccleaner. Reboot into windows and install the 320.18 WHQL driver.

mrdannok

Honorable
Mar 12, 2013

As stated, it didnt help for me... didnt say it wont help for him.

320.49 is the latest. 320.18 is supposedly the "card killer". And type of cable can infact limit resolution (due to signal bandwidth) at given refresh rates, though it's not an issue at these fairly low resolutions. Also updating/installing monitor drivers couldn't hurt.

Totalslaughter

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Asking about the cable was to get more information not necessarily about resolution limitations though there is that possibility. I have a 2560x1440 120hz panel and I use Nvidia control panel to set the custom resolution with the proper hertz. Just because it didn't help you or you don't know how to use it you should act as though it's useless. Nvidia control panel gives more control and more options then windows.

Selky:

If you are using vga you should try dvi instead as dvi is superior (digital) vs dsub/vga which is analog. Also as others have mentioned you could try uninstalling graphics drivers and installing newer / newest Nvidia drivers.

Solution