Laptop Migration - Sony Vaio - 4GB Memory - 500 HD - Win7 - i3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Hi -

i have a 2010 Sony Vaio E Series Laptop i bought in 2010. I am a programmer and have used it laptop almost every day for around 12 - 14 hours and still using it.

Here is the current situation.

- The battery's dead
- The Laptop's pretty slow.
- i have consumed almost 70% - 80% of the storage space.

I am running this laptop daily... but i am just afraid as this may just go down anytime/day and i want to migrate before that happens.

What i need from Tom's Community?

- A Recommendation on what Brand laptop shall i use? (I have heard Dell laptops are pretty strong.)
- A possible way to migrate all my content without having to reinstall or reconfigure anything at all. (i wonder is there is something that would just copy over my current HD and paste it on the new one... or may be i buy a laptop with two hd's and replace this one on the new laptop?)
- Recommendation on configuration i should get. (i am thinking, 2 TB hd, 16 GB Ram, i7 processor and possibly something else to cheer things up)

Thank you to anyone replying.

- Brand - Purely subjective. My suggestion would be to look at reliability reports; they will give you an idea of support and quality of construction. Rescuecom and Consumer Reports are good sources for this.

- Migrating - To do what you're asking, your only option is to clone your HDD using software such as Clonezilla, Acronis Disk Image, etc. It's ideal in terms of system performance and stability to reinstall the OS.

- Config - Your best bet in this regard is to look at the software applications you use most, see what their recommended system requirements are, and exceed those. I'm not sure how demanding programming software is on hardware resources, though I imagine not terribly. Your config you outlined looks good to me for that sort of thing. :)

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Alright... when i may just go with clonezilla itself... i am just not sure how i may add two hard discs to one laptop at a time... i know in a computer it's pretty simple... Huh.

That all depends on the system. Some laptops have up to 3 bays for hard drives. Usually, as long as you have an optical drive bay, you can purchase a caddy for it and fit a hard drive there as well. If you still need the disc drive though, you can get an external one or look for hardware to convert the internal to an external. :)

And if you decide to go with a HDD to SSD clone, be sure you understand how to align the drive before hand: http://lifehacker.com/5837543/how-to-migrate-to-a-solid+state-drive-without-reinstalling-windows

Chetan Madaan

Honorable
Apr 4, 2013
Helpful enough... i am fairly convinced that CloneZilla is a real good option to move forward and will post back how i may end up doing the same.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.