BIOS boot order issue - ASUS Z87 Pro

primetimeseano

Honorable
Jul 5, 2013
I'm having an issue with booting my machine. I have dual hard drives - a 240 GB SSD and a 2 TB storage drive. I installed Windows 8 to the SSD using a USB drive and this is reflected in Windows, but I wanted to optimize the boot process, so I went into the BIOS to make sure the SSD is ahead of the storage drive in the boot order. The BIOS showed the storage drive as first, and when I switched it, the system wouldn’t boot Windows. I had to switch it back to get Windows back. It’s the same story if I go into the BIOS and manually select the boot drive; it boots to Windows from what it says is the storage drive, but not the SSD. However, Windows shows the SSD marked as C and partially filled (with everything I’ve installed so far). I formatted the storage drive after installing Windows and a number of drivers and marked it as D and it’s totally empty except for a reserve of about 300 mb created by Windows. With the storage drive ahead of the SSD, it takes approximately 20 seconds to boot Windows, so it appears it is booting off of the SSD. Any thoughts? I messaged ASUS tech support online, and they suggested resetting the CMOS by removing the battery, but that doesn't make sense to me. Thanks!

oboetooter

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Not a solution - in fact, I have a similar problem. I wonder what worked for you, primetimeseano ...

In the BIOS, Boot Option Priorities shows this:
Boot Option #1 my DVDROM drive, an empty 1.5 TB SATA and a "Disabled" with the DVDROM drive selected
Boot Option #2 my DVDROM drive, the empty 1.5 TB SATA and a "Disabled" with the SATA drive selected.

Further down, under Hard Drive BBS Priorities, I see
Boot Option #1 the empty 1.5 TB SATA, a 1 TB drive with Windows 8 installed, and a "Disabled" with the 1.5 TB drive selected
Boot Option #2 the empty 1.5 TB SATA, a 1 TB drive with Windows 8 installed, and a "Disabled" with the 1 TB drive selected

Then there's a Boot Override that lists the three drives in the order of DVDROM drive, empty 1.5 TB SATA drive, and 1 TB Windows 8 drive.

The only way I can bring up Windows is from the BIOS, selecting Boot Order, and then choosing the 1 TB SATA drive.

oboetooter

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

I tried to post this information earlier, but it is not showing up. If I duplicate my answers, my apologies.

The motherboard is the ASUS Z87-K.

The hard drives are both Seagate Barracudas, as follows:

ST31500541AS (1430799MB) - the empty 1.5 TB drive is on SATA6G_3
ST1000DM002-9YN162 (953869MB) - the 1 TB drive with Windows 8 installed is on SATA6G_1
ATAPI iHAS124 B - the DVDROM drive is on SATA6G_2

It might be a SATA cable issue.
Try leaving only the Win 8 HDD connected to the SATA6G_1 port and start the system.
Then add the 1.5 TB to the SATA6G_2. Start again. And finally connect the DVD drive.
See if working this way.
What SATA cables using? Are they SATA 3 cables (the ones that came with the board)?

oboetooter

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

I'll try your suggestion, going back to just one drive. Will I have to make modifications in the BIOS to have the system find the drive? Or does the BIOS "react" to what it sees, in terms of following a boot chain?

I'll also check the cables. It is perfectly likely that I just used the cables that were already connected to the drives, since they had been used before and zeroed out. But really - the cables shouldn't matter, should they? It's the interface on the board that determines the speed, right?

I must say, with all the trouble I have had lately with hard drive problems - two crapped out within the past couple of months - I am thinking that SSD is the way to go.

oboetooter

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

Many thanks for your patience with this problem. I followed your suggestions about changing the cables to those that came with the motherboard. Getting the system down to simple form has it working smoothly ... so far, without any problems.