Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$2.4k gaming desktop with monitor need help/advice on the what parts. (first time building)

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 5, 2013 4:20:15 PM

Approximate Purchase Date:

Budget Range: $2,000-2,400

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming.

Are you buying a monitor: yes

Do you need to buy OS: Yes (prefer windows 7, unless there is a plus to using 8.)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg and amazon.

Location: holland texas (20 miles away from temple texas.)

Parts Preferences: none, as long as it will work.

Overclocking: No.

SLI or Crossfire: yes, in the future definitely.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments:i will be playing the new star wars battlefront, battlefield 4, EVE online, mirrors edge 2, and warframe. i do NOT want liquid cooled, i would like a case that can fit a LOT of fans if possible.

i have been contemplating whether or not to go through falcon northwest or to build my own, the price of one of their desktops i designed was 2.4k, just want to see if i can get the same stuff, or better stuff for the same price or cheaper.


And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: the laptop i was using cannot run any games.

thank you in advance for whoever helps!
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2013 8:12:21 PM

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($199.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Phanteks PH-TC14PE_RD 78.1 CFM CPU Cooler ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($72.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($648.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor ($243.00 @ Newegg)
Total: $1839.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-05 23:12 EDT-0400)

More than enough for 1080P
a c 287 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 5, 2013 11:15:57 PM

With a GTX 780 you should, in no way shape or form, settle for a mid range 1080P monitor. On a $2400 budget you should get a 1440P monitor without question. I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($673.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1900.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-06 02:12 EDT-0400)

- Better case and SSD than the above build
- You get $500 to add a really nice 1440P monitor, and keyboard and mouse
- You also get liquid cooling with this build
- Less expensive RAM
- Also the power supply allows you to add a second 780 later on as an upgrade
Related resources
July 6, 2013 2:00:30 AM

g-unit1111 said:
With a GTX 780 you should, in no way shape or form, settle for a mid range 1080P monitor. On a $2400 budget you should get a 1440P monitor without question. I'd do something like this:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($150.98 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Mushkin Blackline 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($673.98 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Titanium Grey) ATX Mid Tower Case ($134.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling Silencer Mk II 950W 80 PLUS Silver Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($147.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1900.85
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-06 02:12 EDT-0400)

- Better case and SSD than the above build
- You get $500 to add a really nice 1440P monitor, and keyboard and mouse
- You also get liquid cooling with this build
- Less expensive RAM
- Also the power supply allows you to add a second 780 later on as an upgrade


i really dislike liquid cooling, just from what i've heard of it leaking and destroying the system, could i get the same cooling power with case fans? if so, which would you recommend? and if the liquid cooling is necessary, are there any guides on installing it that you would recommend (like youtube tutorials) and what is the upkeep 'maintenance' on liquid cooled systems?
and one last question, what 1440P monitor would be best? they all look the same to me.

*edit: after looking at the reviews on the MOBO/cooler i think i'd be better off with something else, since most of the reviews complained about DOA or breaking within a week.
a b 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2013 2:37:30 AM

Aio watercoolers are save, doesnt require maintenance.


I picked that rosewill case, because you said you want to use a lot of fans :) 
But i generly would would choose another cases for example from nzxt,corsair,cooler master ect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($554.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2422.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-06 05:35 EDT-0400)
July 6, 2013 10:06:04 AM

Marcopolo123 said:
Aio watercoolers are save, doesnt require maintenance.


I picked that rosewill case, because you said you want to use a lot of fans :) 
But i generly would would choose another cases for example from nzxt,corsair,cooler master ect.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($239.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD4H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($198.49 @ Newegg)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($75.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: OCZ Vector Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($659.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Rosewill BLACKHAWK-ULTRA ATX Full Tower Case ($169.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($134.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($554.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2422.47
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-06 05:35 EDT-0400)


that looks good, but should i get a different case? (like the corsair obsidian 800) or is that rosewell good enough?
a c 287 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
July 6, 2013 10:57:33 AM

Seev said:

i really dislike liquid cooling, just from what i've heard of it leaking and destroying the system, could i get the same cooling power with case fans? if so, which would you recommend? and if the liquid cooling is necessary, are there any guides on installing it that you would recommend (like youtube tutorials) and what is the upkeep 'maintenance' on liquid cooled systems?
and one last question, what 1440P monitor would be best? they all look the same to me.

*edit: after looking at the reviews on the MOBO/cooler i think i'd be better off with something else, since most of the reviews complained about DOA or breaking within a week.


Store reviews are to be taken with massive grains of salt. A good 90% of the DOAs complained about on store reviews could easily be prevented had the user taken the right precautions prior to installation. They are not accurate ways of judging products.
July 6, 2013 11:11:57 AM

g-unit1111 said:
Seev said:

i really dislike liquid cooling, just from what i've heard of it leaking and destroying the system, could i get the same cooling power with case fans? if so, which would you recommend? and if the liquid cooling is necessary, are there any guides on installing it that you would recommend (like youtube tutorials) and what is the upkeep 'maintenance' on liquid cooled systems?
and one last question, what 1440P monitor would be best? they all look the same to me.

*edit: after looking at the reviews on the MOBO/cooler i think i'd be better off with something else, since most of the reviews complained about DOA or breaking within a week.


Store reviews are to be taken with massive grains of salt. A good 90% of the DOAs complained about on store reviews could easily be prevented had the user taken the right precautions prior to installation. They are not accurate ways of judging products.


okay well thanks for the info, i just saw the reviews and was a little bit worried, i'll most likely go with the rosewell case for the fans and if i need it later on down the road i will do liquid cooling.
July 16, 2013 2:04:57 PM

can i have a question?
Seev just said, that he won't overclock he's system, so why do you recommend 4670 K, and separate cooling for it? i mean, that he won't put some preassure on the CPU unless he will work with 3D modelling etc. And SSD? It won't make a lot sense on desktop, i mean, that i know that it designed for laptops, to increase loading of OS and other common programms, but overall in desktop it will produce no additional fps for games.
and why 780? isnt 770's fps for money better in sli then 780?
July 16, 2013 7:02:29 PM

Yury Odnorogov said:
can i have a question?
Seev just said, that he won't overclock he's system, so why do you recommend 4670 K, and separate cooling for it? i mean, that he won't put some preassure on the CPU unless he will work with 3D modelling etc. And SSD? It won't make a lot sense on desktop, i mean, that i know that it designed for laptops, to increase loading of OS and other common programms, but overall in desktop it will produce no additional fps for games.
and why 780? isnt 770's fps for money better in sli then 780?


i modified what they suggested to what i needed, i have the SSD because i want my desktop to be very fast with turning on, and file transfer.
the extra cooling for the CPU is there because i will do light 3d modelling/photoshop.
i also switched from a 780 to a 770. it gives me enough money left over to buy a very nice mouse/keyboard/speaker setup, and you are right with the 770 being better money for FPS, i will SLI in the near future.
July 17, 2013 12:56:26 AM

Seev said:
Yury Odnorogov said:
can i have a question?
Seev just said, that he won't overclock he's system, so why do you recommend 4670 K, and separate cooling for it? i mean, that he won't put some preassure on the CPU unless he will work with 3D modelling etc. And SSD? It won't make a lot sense on desktop, i mean, that i know that it designed for laptops, to increase loading of OS and other common programms, but overall in desktop it will produce no additional fps for games.
and why 780? isnt 770's fps for money better in sli then 780?


i modified what they suggested to what i needed, i have the SSD because i want my desktop to be very fast with turning on, and file transfer.
the extra cooling for the CPU is there because i will do light 3d modelling/photoshop.
i also switched from a 780 to a 770. it gives me enough money left over to buy a very nice mouse/keyboard/speaker setup, and you are right with the 770 being better money for FPS, i will SLI in the near future.

cool! i'm gonna build nearly the same rig next month :) 
September 6, 2013 2:04:50 AM

If you are not in a big hurry, you could wait till AMD announce their next gen graphics card.
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2013 12:07:23 PM

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($229.98 @ Outlet PC)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($109.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-GD65 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($184.97 @ Outlet PC)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($144.99 @ Best Buy)
Storage: Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($212.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($84.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($735.91 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case ($124.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair Gaming 700W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($79.99 @ Microcenter)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus VS247H-P 23.6" Monitor ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $2128.76

Okay first off I tried to (sorta) emulate the build prior to this post.
For the CPU I know you said no overclocking but I figured its barely any more for an unlocked processor, why not leave room for the future?
CPU cooler is a good closed loop liquid cooler. Quiet, easy.
As for the Mobo, its a gaming mobo and the upgraded version of the one previously listed.
For the RAM, 16gb is a little much for gaming, but like I said, its better for the future especially with your budget. If you want you can upgrade to the 1866mhz version for pretty much the same price.
SSD is larger than the one previously listed and the HDD is a better version as well.
I feel that single GPU's are better than SLI but thats just me. Some games don't support SLI anyway, but that depends on what kinds of games you play. What you want to do with the GPU is up to you, but if you are going to go with a 1440p display, then you need the extra VRAM.
As for the case, I just put the case from my own personal build. It has great airflow, easy to work with and should fit all of your components comfortably. Also there is room for a lot of fans. But you can change the case to whatever you prefer.
I just went with a modular PSU.
And for the monitor I agree that you could have a 1440p display but spending 500+ on a monitor just seems silly to me. Stay with a nice cheap 1080p monitor for now and if you want to upgrade in the future when 1440p becomes cheaper go for it. And also you will get much better frame rates with a 1080p display.


And for the monitor
a c 287 4 Gaming
a b C Monitor
September 6, 2013 12:24:00 PM

Yury Odnorogov said:
can i have a question?
Seev just said, that he won't overclock he's system, so why do you recommend 4670 K, and separate cooling for it? i mean, that he won't put some preassure on the CPU unless he will work with 3D modelling etc. And SSD? It won't make a lot sense on desktop, i mean, that i know that it designed for laptops, to increase loading of OS and other common programms, but overall in desktop it will produce no additional fps for games.
and why 780? isnt 770's fps for money better in sli then 780?


Well for starters you need a fan if you're going to overclock. The stock fan just won't cut it. There's tons of different fans out there for mild (Hyper 212) to extreme (Phanteks, custom liquid cooling) overclocking. If you want to get the most out of your PC you should definitely be prepared to overclock.
And SSDs make perfect sense on a desktop - any case made after 2011 will have 2.5" drive mounts so you can add an SSD without having to buy extra equipment. They generally make the system overall faster by decreasing loading times. I won't build any system over $1K without one now. They're not only made just for laptops.
Without SLI'ing the GPU, you won't see any difference between a 770 and 780 as they use the same GK109 processor, and the only real difference lies in the VRAM clock speeds..

Quote:

And for the monitor I agree that you could have a 1440p display but spending 500+ on a monitor just seems silly to me. Stay with a nice cheap 1080p monitor for now and if you want to upgrade in the future when 1440p becomes cheaper go for it. And also you will get much better frame rates with a 1080p display.


No no no no no. Wrong, wrong wrong. You have the budget, there's no reason to compromise. You want the best resolution you can get for your money, and settling for a cheap monitor now is never a good way to do it. Sure it may be a bit more expensive, but a high resolution monitor is way worth the extra money especially if you plan to do more on it like video editing or rendering. Even if you upgrade in a year, the newer hardware will be able to take advantage of the higher resolutions down the road.
a b 4 Gaming
September 6, 2013 2:34:53 PM

Quote:

And for the monitor I agree that you could have a 1440p display but spending 500+ on a monitor just seems silly to me. Stay with a nice cheap 1080p monitor for now and if you want to upgrade in the future when 1440p becomes cheaper go for it. And also you will get much better frame rates with a 1080p display.


No no no no no. Wrong, wrong wrong. You have the budget, there's no reason to compromise. You want the best resolution you can get for your money, and settling for a cheap monitor now is never a good way to do it. Sure it may be a bit more expensive, but a high resolution monitor is way worth the extra money especially if you plan to do more on it like video editing or rendering. Even if you upgrade in a year, the newer hardware will be able to take advantage of the higher resolutions down the road.[/quotemsg]

Ah, I did not see that he wanted to do video rendering and photo editing. I retract my statement, and I agree, purchase the Asus 1440p monitor suggested by Marcopolo123.
!