Sign in with
Your question

Addition or replacement of current setup , what should i do ?

Last response: in Memory
July 5, 2013 5:59:06 PM

I currently have a 2x4GB corsair Ddr3 Sdram Ddr3 1600 memory setup.

I wanted to upgrade my 2500k gtx760 machine to 8 gb of ram.

Sadly the same memory (Cmz4gx3m2a1600c8) can't be aquired anywhere anymore.

My questions : , is this memory still good for gaming ? , Is there any 8-8-8-24 1600 2x2 ram that i could upgrade with ?
Or should i buy new ram alltogether.

Thanks in advance,

Machiel
a c 1974 } Memory
July 5, 2013 6:14:33 PM

You say you have 8GB (2x4GB) (mean 2x2GB ?) and want to upgrade to 8GB - do you mean 16GB? The DRAM is fine for gaming and 8GB is a good amount.

If you have 2x2, I'd suggest buying a 2x4GB kit, it's never a good idea to mix set's of DRAM, especially 1600 on up, XMP won't work (it's programmed by the packaged set) and it will normally require manual st up, timings and voltage adjustments and even then may have two sets that just won't play. No doubt you'll have plenty tell you, 'Yeah, no problem', but funny thing is.....I never see any of these experts help people getting these mixed sets to work, makes you wonder! Anyway, as an example, in the last few days I've been attempting to help over a dozen folks, who listen to these 'experts' and are stuck with 'trying' to get the sticks to play, or RMSing/returning them (postage, re-stocking fees, etc)...I won't say IT WON'T work, but after doing DRAM support work on GSkill's forums for the last few years, it can be extremely frustrating
July 6, 2013 8:49:29 AM

Tradesman1 said:
You say you have 8GB (2x4GB) (mean 2x2GB ?) and want to upgrade to 8GB - do you mean 16GB? The DRAM is fine for gaming and 8GB is a good amount.

If you have 2x2, I'd suggest buying a 2x4GB kit, it's never a good idea to mix set's of DRAM, especially 1600 on up, XMP won't work (it's programmed by the packaged set) and it will normally require manual st up, timings and voltage adjustments and even then may have two sets that just won't play. No doubt you'll have plenty tell you, 'Yeah, no problem', but funny thing is.....I never see any of these experts help people getting these mixed sets to work, makes you wonder! Anyway, as an example, in the last few days I've been attempting to help over a dozen folks, who listen to these 'experts' and are stuck with 'trying' to get the sticks to play, or RMSing/returning them (postage, re-stocking fees, etc)...I won't say IT WON'T work, but after doing DRAM support work on GSkill's forums for the last few years, it can be extremely frustrating

Thanks for the reply

So it is probably best to get a new set of Ram sticks that are 2x4GB because of probable incompatibility.

I have a p8p67 MOBO that uses 1.5 v

On the site of ASUS it states :
''4 x DIMM, Max. 32GB, DDR3 2200(O.C.)/2133(O.C.)/1866(O.C.)/1600/1333/1066 Hz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory
Dual Channel Memory Architecture
Supports IntelĀ® Extreme Memory Profile (XMP)
* According to IntelĀ® SPEC, the Max. 32GB memory capacity can be supported with DIMMs of 8GB (or above). ASUS will update QVL once the DIMMs are available on the market.
* Hyper DIMM support is subject to the physical characteristics of individual CPUs.
* Refer to www.asus.com or user manual for the Memory QVL (Qualified Vendors Lists).
* Due to CPU behavior, DDR3 2200/2000/1800 MHz memory module will run at DDR3 2133/1866/1600 MHz frequency as default.
''

Will that not cause any problems with certain Ram , or can i just buy anything 1600 and up that uses 1.5v ?

Thanks in advance

Machiel
Related resources
a c 1974 } Memory
July 6, 2013 8:59:19 AM

You can try yes, I don't advise it as there can be problems, a 2x4GB would be the better way to go, and with the 2x4, if you wanted you could try to add the 2x2 (I'll help if needed), but at least you'd have a solid 8...If you go the 2x2 route, look for as close as possible or go the 9-9-9
July 6, 2013 9:02:53 AM

I also found an 8GB kit ''https://www.zercom.eu/#dispatch-products.view///product...''
I think its compatible with my mobo etc

Of 1600 mhz 8-9-8-24 ram , will that be a suitable replacement for 80 Euros {90 $ / 65 pounds}
OR am i looking in the wrong place.

check out ''eigenschappen'' to see the specs.

Thanks in advance.

Machielste
a c 1974 } Memory
July 6, 2013 9:15:08 AM

That would be a good set, give them a shot
July 6, 2013 9:18:38 AM

Tradesman1 said:
That would be a good set, give them a shot

Thanks a lot for the help , il buy them when i have the cash .

Machiel
a c 1974 } Memory
July 6, 2013 9:23:48 AM

Let me know how it goes
!