What Do You Know About DDR4?

thismafiaguy

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
There are rumors that the upcoming Ivy-E CPUs will have DDR4 support. And this is where all the questions pop up. What exactly is DDR4? What are the improvements and differences over DDR3? And do you think it will be worth the wait? I'm actually rebuilding my system this summer, and I'm kinda expecting another platform change next summer. Things could get very expensive.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
The big question in there is what is DDR4....and the answer is...are you ready?....it all depend on who you talk to, JEDEC sets the standards for DDR (or is suppose to) and they aren't really sure, some say the standard voltage will drop to 1.25 others say 1.3 and others say.......it's actually rather messed up, JEDEC sort of bleew it with DDR3, when the standards came out the max freq was to be 1600 and you've seen what happend, 1866, 2000 and 2133 were all out before they got a standard for 1866 - the DRAM manufacturers have sort of taken it on their own backs to design and put out sticks up to 3000 currently, which may be max for a while anyway, IC's that can run that are few and far between which is why the prices are so high