my cpu wont start.....please help me

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
Gonna have to provide us more information. Has it started before? Is this a prebuilt system? If so, what the model? If not, what are the specs?

Have you made any changes lately inside your case? Were there any symptoms leading up to this problem? The more detail you can give us, the more easily we'll be able to help you.

On a high level, sounds like a Power Supply issue. Make sure your front panel power button is connected to the right header on your motherboard. You can find this information in your motherboard's manual.

Make sure the 24 pin main power cable is properly seated. Take it out and plug it back in firmly until the latch catches on the side. Do the same for the 4/8 pin auxiliary CPU power near the CPU socket.

If this is a CPU upgrade, you may need to use your old CPU to upgrade the BIOS of your motherboard to support the newer CPU.

I hope any of this has helped, but please provide more information! And let us know how it goes!

Best of luck!
Brisa117

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

Hey alistairdcosta,

I really want to help you, but you're still not providing us with much detail or answering any of the questions that I asked before. And to be honest with you, I didn't understand what "cpu wont state only" means. Are you using "cpu" as the "whole computer"?

If you can, give us some detail on the models of your power supply, processor, and motherboard. The rest doesn't matter that much. Since you confirmed that it was working at some point, I think even more that it is an issue with the power supply. If you have an extra one or your friend has one you can borrow, this is most likely the solution. Other than that, check all of the cables like I said in my first response.

Also, how long have you had this system?

Best of luck!
Brisa

alistairdcosta

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013
I have moniter nd cpu ..I brought 2 year ago .... nd had change psu 1 year ago...it was working fine...bt nw nothing in cpu starts.....when I on the pc oly moniter starts in green light nd then come red light because cpu wont send any thing to it ....
it was working fine befor....nd its ddr 2 motherboard

brisa117

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010

alistairdcosta,
Let me start off by saying that what I'm about to tell you shouldn't be taken as me trying to be mean or snarky or condescending in any way, but I don't believe I (or likely anyone else on this forum) will be able to assist you in solving your problem. This isn't because the people of this forum lack the knowledge or deductive skill enough to solve PC problems over the internet, but rather for the following two reasons:

1. Your style of writing is difficult to read and more so to interpret. It would help us immensely if you would write in full, descriptive sentences, spelling each word out completely and checking the spelling of other words. It's not uncommon to misspelled words (I know I do often), but it is clear, when you misspelled a word numerous times in the same manner, that you are intentionally trying to shorten words; however, words like "and" or "but" or "only" should not be shortened because they are already short enough. When you shorten these words to something like "bt", we might mistake this to be an abbreviation for something techy. For instance my first thought when I read "bt" was the Linux distro called "back tracks", which is often abbreviated. In fact, there is nothing wrong with using abbreviations, as long as they are relatively clear. For instance people abbreviate motherboard as "mobo" or graphics card as "GPU".

I'm not sure if your style of writing is due to being a new computer user and not feeling completely comfortable with the keyboard, or possibly that English isn't your native language. In either case, I encourage you to continue practicing typing out the full words. Practice is the only way to become a faster, more effective typist.

2. It is also apparent that you are still learning about how computers work and the components involved. Unfortunately, to be able to assist you in finding your problem (and hopefully fixing it), we need to know more specific details about your situation. I can tell that you are mastering some of intricacies of PCs (like when you referenced DDR2), but what we need is specific model numbers of motherboards, processors, and other components. Right now I don't know if your system is Intel or AMD based or how it should perform. These are things I can figure out if I have the model numbers for your components. Or even by the model number for the full system if you purchased it prebuilt.

I applaud you for taking an interest in computing and encourage you to continue learning. There are many websites and videos on the internet that will help you become more confident and commanding in your understanding of PCs. For now just know that a "CPU" is only one component inside of the computer case and referencing the entire box should normally be done by calling it "the computer" or "computer tower".

Again, I know this may have come across as mean or snooty, but I promise, I only want you to fully understand why I feel that I am incapable of helping you solve your problem. I really do wish I could do more to help.

My recommendation at this point is for you to take your computer to either a tech savvy friend or a local PC shop. Be sure to use this as an opportunity to learn about your computer so that you will be able to help others who are having the same issue that you are currently facing. I'm sorry that you are having issues with your PC, and I know it can be frustrating, but I feel confident that you will be much better off with local help who can get hands-on with your machine.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you!

Best of luck!
Brisa!