Xonar D1 + Audio Technica AD700

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello there!

I need help setting up my xonar D1 to use my audio technica's effectively.

I got told by plenty of people to go with the xonar D1 and I have heard great things about the AD700 for positional accuracy.

I currently want to use this set up for BF3 (and BF4 when it comes). According to a youtuber (LevelCapGaming) the AD700 are great for positional accuracy (better than his Astro A50)

My audio settings on BF3 are on Home Cinema (with stero enhancement turned off)

My Xonar D1 settings are 6 Channels, PCM 48 sample rate, Analog out (for AD700) and Dolby Headphones turned on.

I could also turn on Virtual 7.1 speaker but currently that is off.

In my Windows I have set up 5.1 surround.

I am not getting the audio accuracy I though I was going to get, in fact its pretty much just stereo to me.

Am I missing something? or doing something wrong??

I am not too savvy with this kind of stuff :( please Help!!

stefsom

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
The audio Technica AD700 are stereo headphones, not 5.1 or 7.1 .
You set your audio to heaphones in games to enjoy from virtual 5.1 or 7.1.

KrazyKiwi

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

So setting it to headphones should do it ? I thought the whole point of sticking it to home cinema was so it would output a surround signal and then your sound card can emulate it for you. Is that wrong ?? I won't be butthurt if it is wrong haha just what I was told

Thanks for helping me !

My advice is to enable 7.1 when using Dolby Headphone. 5.1 is front + side speakers, so you really don't gain much on headphones when using that mode.

The front/rear difference is subtle. Its there, but it takes getting used to. Left/Right is easy to distinguish (as it should be).

You could also toy with the speaker shifter and set up the virtual speakers differently to better suit you.