LGA1155 backplate for a heatsink?

G

hey guys, im new here. after countless hours searching online i have yielded nothing, and i am hoping that someone here might be able to help. i recently bought a cooler master hyper 212 evo heatsink from a friend. however the backplate for the heatsink is missing. i have a LGA1155 socket on my motherboard. ive searched and searched trying to locate just the backplate and cant find it, ive also looked on cooler masters site to see if a replacement is even possible and it just doesnt seem to be. normally i would just order a whole new heatsink and get the required part, however my budget is pretty tight as i am currently building a new gaming rig. i was given a few backplates but they wont fit because of the shape of the metal plate on the back of my mobo where the cpu is attached. ive looked online and the hyper 212 evo heatsink comes with a backplate that has the shape of the cpu plate molded into it, however the backplates i was given do not, so they dont fit flush.

so here is what i need to know, can i get a backplate online somewhere for this heatsink? or could i simply use some washers and insulate the side of them that would be in contact with the mobo, and use the washers as a makeshift backplate? id rather not cob it up if possible, but money is tight right now, thanks for your help guys

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Insulated washers and nuts should work fine. The only reason the backplate is so big, is that it doubles as the stock backplate for AMD installs. Just don't get such big washers that they cover/crush solder traces.

diabolicmind

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

thanks for the reply, that is what i figured with the backplate, im thinking for the washers i could buy a inner tube for a bike tire and cut circles out of it the size of the washers, and lay the rubber circles on the board first then place the washers on them, that way i can tighten the risers down without it digging the metal from the washer into the board.

thanks again for the reply, i didnt expect to get a response so quickly

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
You don't have to go thru all that work. Hdw stores carry insulated washers in most small sizes like the cooler uses. You just need something non-conductive. In fact, the area where the post pass thru, may be clear of any electrical solder points, anyway. You wouldn't have to really worry if you're just contacting the board's substrate material. But nylon, fibre, rubber washers would give it a bit of cushion against over zealous tightening.

Example: http://www.amazon.com/Amico-Motherboard-Screw-Insularing-Washers/dp/B00511PK2G/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hi_1

TRENDING THREADS