What motherboard to get?! (Tied between two)

Which x79 Motherboard

• ASUS SABERTOOTH x79

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ASUS P9X79 Pro X79

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013
Hello all,

I've been doing a little research, and with time I decided that I would get a i7-3930k, for gaming, video editing, possible rendering in the future if I may add.

I came across two boards:

ASUS SABERTOOTH x79

and

ASUS P9X79 Pro X79

These boards are similar but different in many ways.

I bring up the question as this:

The Sabertooth board has additional cooling solutions and only 2 PCI-e slots, and I don't plan on doing more than 2 way SLI anytime in the future. The Pro has 4 PCIE slots, but can only support 3 way 2 slot card SLI configs, which as I said, I'm never going above 2 way SLI.

The main problem is that I am also getting an Avermedia Live Gamer HD PCI-E x1 capture card. With the Sabertooth board, there are 2 slots, but one is take up by the GPU, and the other is right next to it which I dont want the Capture card to be heated by the GTX 780 card.

However with the Pro, it has additional slots that I don't need and no extra rear i/o cooling for the whole board, but has a PCI-e slot far towards the bottom of the board giving the computer better air circulation.

Any help would be appreciated. By the way:

Sabertooth: $325 Newegg

Pro: $310 Newegg

EDIT: My friend gave me the idea of getting a 3970X over a 3770k, as the 3770k would pobably (and I agree) become un usable within 2 or 3 years. I wanted to make this as future proof as possible.

Then i saw that from CPU boss and the Intel website, that the 3930k and the 3970X are basically no different apart other than 12MB cache on the 3930k. Then the 3930k had a slight advantage on OC. Seeing that it was ~ $500 cheaper, that is my choice.

GOM3RPLY3R

Honorable
Mar 16, 2013

Thanks for the suggestion. I think I'll go with the pro. The Recorder Card will be much farther from the GPU so there will be a little less heat dissipation. Plus, all of the LED fans in my case, and my RAM are blue, so I think that blue/white scheme will go well with it, even though you can't see right into the case from the amount of case fans I have on it. Also there are pretty big pipes on it compared to the Sabertooth, so heat distribution will be much better. :D

Lol, thanks again. ^_^