Windows 7 limited access constant issue

lmsndrs

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi. I got my new PC the other day and have had no end of problems with my wireless internet connection. I have limited access 98% of the time - the other 2% of the time it works perfectly - and despite my BT home hub appearing in the wireless network connection section on the taskbar (with limited access by it), above it says I am trying to connect to unidentified network, with a picture of a bench. Ipconfig proves there is a problem: my IP begins with 169 (APIPA?) and I lack a default gateway. I have tried multiple adapters and others in my house get perfect access with and without Windows 7. Using my phone for the internet and having no online access to Steam is killing me, please help!

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Check your adapter configuration and ensure it is set to automatic, or bind an IP address to your PC's MAC address in the router's settings and define your IP in the windows 7 Adapter settings.

I am assuming you're IP address is manually defined in the adapter settings, to which another device on the network has already been assigned that IP address.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/change-tcp-ip-settings

The lack of gateway usually means you are not successfully connecting, which could be a result of the IP address conflict, but usually will display an IP address conflict error.

lmsndrs

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
My adapter is set to obtain automatically. Are you talking about a static IP? I'm only semi PC literate, so this is a bit daunting to me. My internet has not worked at all over the past 2 days, so I really want this sorted. I know where to go to input an IP manually, but what should I actually type? If ipconfig doesn't show my IP properly, how do I know what to input manually?

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Assuming all BT Home Hub routers operate the same, you can assign a static IP address to the device connecting (MAC Address).
So the IP Address to the device never changes.
original

In windows command prompt type in ipconfig /all and look for your wireless adapter and find your MAC Address.
https://docs.google.com/a/iselinc.com/file/d/0B2xyjZTJk1m6cFpXdVZITnBiTnc/edit

Connect to your router via Ethernet cable and enter the configuration settings.
I believe you should be able to click Settings -> Home Network -> IP Addresses,
then assign an IP address to the Wireless Adapter's MAC Address you found in ipconfig.

Optionally you can also edit your Windows Wireless Adapter Settings to match the settings you defined:
bthh_upgrade_ip.jpg

Assuming your router's IP address is set to 192.168.1.254 and you assigned your MAC Address the IP of 192.168.1.100.

While other devices will still ask the router for an IP address (DHCP) your PC will have a static IP address reserved on the router that it won't assign to any other devices connecting, and if you statically defined your PC's IPv4 gateway and IP address your PC will always check the same IP Address for connectivity.

This is just a step to ensure your PC is actually attempting to communicate with the router and there are no issues with DHCP, to which the router will simply say, "Hey I know you, this is your IP Address", rather than: "I don't know you, what IP Addresses do I have, here's one that's not being used."

lmsndrs

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
Hi Fyrye, thanks so much for your help on the matter, you inadvertently helped me solve the issue (I think!). I connected via ethernet and was then prompted to change my network to home. I then unplugged the wire and put my wireless adapter in and bam! instant recognition of the network and connectivity. Thanks again, I'll be sure to try your method if the issue persists, but it looks ok for now :)

lmsndrs

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I spoke too soon. After moving my pc back upstairs to a wireless connection, it has reverted to its broken state. To use your fix with the router settings must it be done on my pc? I tried using my brother's computer but my MAC address for the adapter does not appear. Surely if I was connected via ethernet it would not either? Do I need to temporarily enable my wireless by giving it a sort of jumpstart with the ethernet to then change these router settings? This is a nightmare :(

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Are both/all PCs having issues connecting wirelessly or just your PC?

Anytime you join a "new" network it should prompt you for the type of network you joined. Each adapter/network (ethernet/wireless) is configured separately, so it wouldn't help if you connected with ethernet then switch to wireless.
If your wireless adapter is on and you perform the command ipconfig /all the MAC/Physical address should be listed.
If not it sounds like you may have a faulty wireless adapter.
You need to write down the MAC Address and manually type it in to the router settings in the Settings -> Home Networking -> IP Addresses list. If anything manually configuring the PC wireless adapter's with a static IP address and setting the Default gateway to the routers IP address should also alleviate the issue. Just be sure the IP address you use is not already in use on the router. something out of sequence like 192.168.1.60 should work.

I am attempting to force the router into recognizing your PC and to reserve your PC's IP address, by configuring the router IP Addresses with your PC's MAC Address,. This way when you do try to connect wirelessly, DHCP issues do not prevent you from connecting or fail to assign your PC an IP address (limited or no connectivity).
I am not familiar with the router's software, but from what I have read it may not be possible to manually type in or add a device.