2 monitors (VGA) from VGA, DVI-D & HDMI MoBo

Marty Smith

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
I have 2 monitors (both VGA no other connections) and my MoBo (ASRock 890GX Extreme3) has 3 output options, VGA (currently using for my main monitor) DVI-D & HDMI. My Question is, is there any way to connect my 2nd monitor (extended desktop) using the 2 other connections on my MoBo (DVI-d or HDMI)?

Adrenolin

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2013
You can use a DVI to VGA adapter to setup your other monitor. Newegg, Amazon, etc all carry them. Note that there are DVI-D and DVI-I so make sure you get the right one.. Never had to use them so not sure if they are interchangeable or not.

A simple Google will show you the difference and it might be labeled as such under the DVI port on your PC.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_10?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=dvi+to+vga+adapter&sprefix=Dvi+to+vga%2Celectronics%2C257

Marty Smith

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
From what i have read (on various websites) is that DVI-D to VGA is not so simple, you need a converter to convert the DVI-D (Digital) to VGA (Analog) and they are really expensive. By the looks on things, my cheapest option is to get a graphics card that has a DVI-A/I (with a VGA adaptor) and VGA output.

Can anyone recommend a cheap graphics card that will have these? Im not a gamer, i only use my computer for music production so graphics isnt really necessary.

aliyahmartin1986

Honorable
Jul 8, 2013
What you will need is an active converter that does digital to analog video signal conversion. You will need a DVI-D to VGA or HDMI to VGA converter to make this work.

Marty Smith

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Thanks for your reply i found a cheap converter i am going to try and hopefully it works. I mean its cheaper than a graphics card and wont really break the bank. If anyone is interested, its this - http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Active-Adapter-Converter-1920x1200/dp/B00C93JQXS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1373570466&sr=1-1&keywords=StarTech+DVI-D+to+VGA