Need a new monitor, but don't know what will work.

Apple_in_da_tree

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Before I start, let me put down my new computer specs:
CPU:FX-4130 4-core 3.8GHz
GPU:Nvidis GeForce GTX 660
PSU:700watt
RAM:4GB Crucial ballistics sports
MOBO:Asrock 970 extreme3
HDD:1TB Western digital caviar black
After market cooler:Cooler master 212 Hyper evo

Now the problem.

The first boot up of the computer was done on a 13 year old LaCie electron19blue 3 and looked fine. I was in the process of putting in my information (The password and things like that) and the monitor died. It was bad luck, but I had another monitor. So, i hooked up the second monitor, which is a Gateway that's about 5 or 6 years old, and it gave me the message of "Out of Frequency" and a monitor power off timer.

My question is this: what type, resolution, and size do i need to use the 660? and mind, the price has to be around 100$, a bit more is fine, and as long as the monitor is bigger then my cell phone (or bigger then 15"), I'm fine.

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012
That's quite odd that those monitors died like that, might just be bad luck or maybe something else... anyways, are you going to be gaming? I'd assume so considering you have a GTX 660, though 4GB isn't typical for gaming. If you do plan on playing games, I'd get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824113034

Obviously for the price you are not getting superb quality, but it is a 1080p panel, which will look better than those lower resolution ones for similar prices.

Apple_in_da_tree

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
I know the ram is a bit under par, but i can get more later. Can you make some suggestions of what kind of monitor i need? like what to look for and/or ask?

mclovits

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2012

Well you'd want a 1080p monitor if you can afford it, with a GPU as capable as a 660 1080p is a must, if not, 1600x900 works well too. That's basically all the info you need, I'd buy from well known brands such as HP, Asus, Samsung, etc. And try for an IPS panel if you can find one, just search Amazon/Newegg/Craigslist. That link i provided above is probably your best best for a new monitor though.