Titanfall Developer Explains Use of Xbox Live Cloud

Status
Not open for further replies.

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
This all sounds very over ambitious and I think it will end badly. I like the idea however of the AI adjusting to you. Ultimately, games are based on rules which you can learn and expose, and that ruins the fun. I would like to see games get better, harder.

codo

Honorable
May 5, 2012
This all sounds very over ambitious and I think it will end badly. I like the idea however of the AI adjusting to you. Ultimately, games are based on rules which you can learn and expose, and that ruins the fun. I would like to see games get better, harder.

redeemer

Distinguished

Lol I always find comments like your hilarious, do you build servers do you have an education in cloud computing?? Of course games are built on rules, but this does not have to apply to AI and physics. You honestly think MS would spend mega millions on 300,000 servers for nothing because a poster from Tom's Hardware thinks its overly ambitious?? Developers are already speaking out about MS cloud strategy and they are blown away. The future is cloud, Xbox One and PS4 will probably be the last physical consoles you will be able to buy, after that games will be streamed

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
we're talking about a multiplayer only game here. You're already doing everything on servers in multiplayer games... It seems like the only new things about it are the dedicated servers being affordable enough for console iterations of games and maybe being able to take multiplayer bots to levels it hasn't reached in games yet because of the affordable cloud computing.

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

Your comment is also funny, you fail, just as microsoft, to realise the world is not nearly as connected as this kind of service requires. That and the concept of requiring the internet just to play a game is of so little interest to many many people its not funny. Not everyone has the capability to remain online constantly, not everyone wants to be online constantly and unfortuneatly some people cant even get online.

It may be an inevitable future, doesnt mean people wont hate and fight it the whole way though

segio526

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010

Actually, from what I've been reading, the only things the servers do on Xbox Live currently is getting the players connected to each other, the consoles themselves play the part of server once the game gets going. This is why people with modded consoles are able to cheat for a while before their banned, the game developers had to script bots to randomly sample matches. Now that they have the server infrastructure in place to host matches a modded console is irelevant since game rules are running on the server. The console has to obey those rules or be disconnected.

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
This is pure marketing BS. All they're really doing is expanding consumer awareness of what a dedicated server already is and does - they're not doing anything evolutionary.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
we're talking about a multiplayer only game here. You're already doing everything on servers in multiplayer games... It seems like the only new things about it are the dedicated servers being affordable enough for console iterations of games and maybe being able to take multiplayer bots to levels it hasn't reached in games yet because of the affordable cloud computing.

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

atavax

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012

fightingslu

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
My guess is that they wion't have enough servers up to meet pre-orders, and gamers will have to wait in a 6 hour line to play for first couple of weeks.

billgatez

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2012
MS takes something that other platforms have been doing for years, and make's it sound like they are doing something new.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Ya, it's EA, that's just about where I stopped reading... They are actually worse at pure greed and DRMs then M$ and I refuse to support them. I really don't care what game they force to be produced...

I very much enjoy the Indie games lately so I won't be buying the bone anyhow this time around... I'll stick to PC gaming.

redeemer

Distinguished

Research what you buy! Its the general understanding that Xbox one is designed primarily for the western audience. What isn't connected, my cellphone, my router and my TV almost everything. MS has changed its always online policy, I guess you did not know. There are many benefits being always connected, and cloud services. Origin and Steam are amazing services, disc based gaming will fade away and there need to be a true first digital market place where we can sell, trade and share our digital content. I have no problems with being connected 24/7 however there will be many that do not approve whatever the reason maybe. A corporation designs it product and services for the appropriate masses.

alextheblue

Distinguished
It's a multiplayer game. You need a halfway decent internet connection to play it. It won't eat up bandwidth by having dedicated servers and processing more stuff on them. In fact, it's less bandwidth intensive for the person who would normally be hosting.

For a multiplayer game, it's only a positive. There is no drawback, and anyone that thinks there is a disadvantage here doesn't understand how this works.

SirGCal

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
Obviously, with a multi-player game, you need a working and responsive internet connection. But that said;

Actually, you might want to check yourself. You do NOT have to be online to play Steam games, just download them from your account store. I have some games for the kids and that system is not online. I put it online when I need to do something but other then that. Steam works great for that purpose. The other benefit to Steam is that I never paid more then $5 for most of my 300+ games there. And many AAA titles, just not opening week (so what).

I don't use Origin (EA) ever... can't speak to that. Refuse to support them as a company. But Steam is NOT 'always on'...

And the 'Western' world per-say is actually one of the poorest 'connected' modern countries... Only the major cities and surrounding areas have relatively reliable high-speed internet connections that are always on. The last reports I saw on that was something like 65%ish of the US was on Broadband internet. And since the cities are far more congested then rural areas, that's saying something...

Plus those that are on Broadband generally have weak internet compared to other countries. I.E. Google Fiber and FIOS are very rare in the US. If you are lucky enough to have it, then you're starting to see what some of the rest of the world can play with... Those of us with 10M/1M or super-speed 30M/2M connections, ugg.. Might be connected but. That's another topic I guess. Still the US' Internet project is pretty poor at the moment.

I.E: More than 94 percent of South Koreans have high-speed connections -- compared with about 70 percent in the United States, according to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD). And at it's worst it's over 200x faster, plus they get it for less then $30/month... (for 1G connections... both ways...)

The US is not 'connected'... We're barely getting wired... Korea, Finland, Sweden, Japan, France, etc. All better, far better then us. The NE states do a lot better then the rest of the country also... Well eastern in general. But some 19 Million people still can't even get any internet access... http://www.fcc.gov/reports/eighth-broadband-progress-report. And we won't talk about the lag and other issues (caps/limits) inherent to satellite internet.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
what happens when the company decides that it is not profitable keeping servers running for an older game and shuts it down. How will you play your cloud DRM games in the future when the servers are no longer up or no longer supporting the game you paid for?

I have many games which have multiplayer components but are no longer supported (but they still work online, because they do not require the company to be supporting them. users can create servers and multiplayer continues)

hakesterman

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2008
The future is cloud, Xbox One and PS4 will probably be the last physical consoles you will be able to buy, after that games will be streamed.

I heard that argument many years back and it's no different now than it was back then. Consoles will be around for ever and ever. There ain't no cloud in the sky or under ground that is going to out perform a physical dominating machine like the PS4. It's all a pipe Dream, nothing more, nothing less.

bobdoled

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
This sounds like EA is just trying to price why it's a game that needs to be always online before it comes out and people start complaining that they need a key to play it online. Microsoft said they are not enforcing a policy against used game sales but that doesn't mean EA won't stick with it. I foresee registration codes to play this game tied to a single account that are needed for single player because of ai that should work just as well on a multi-core console... Ai is usually limited by the programmers and the end users, not the machine. I'm pretty sure users like their pursuers to leave them alone after they jump into a pile of hay

nevilence

Distinguished
May 8, 2012

I was well aware of M$ backflip, I am on Toms here, like I couldnt know. And as SirGCal pointed out, steam is far from always online, maybe stop throwing out the "do your research call" and do some yourself. I am always connected, have been for a long time, but again as SirGCal points out, not everyone has that connectivity, even in western countries. I sure as fuck dont have the same options that the US may have as they dont have what Korea or Japan have. Hell there are people 10 mins down the road from me that cant get braodband. There is varying levels of connectedness, designing something with 100% connectivity is limiting their customer base. And as a customer that has had from NES up to ps3/xbox 360/PC and most things in between the whole time, I will never like the idea of having to rely on an external resource just to run a game, I would rather have the hardware and CD in my possession. These companies are forcing their agenda on the customers, and as with the M$ customer back lash, the companies will have to change their direction to satisfy those that pay them.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
"Titanfall uses the Xbox Live Cloud to run dedicated servers for PC, Xbox One, and Xbox 360."

I guess this confirms Titanfall will be a GFWL game. I was really hoping we put that crap behind us...

KelvinTy

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2011
Finally, after 5 years of trial. Someone is switching back to Dedicated server usage.
6 years ago, even simple games like COD4 utilizes dedicated server.
Then, 5 years ago, almost all games utilizes p2p, causing all sort of problems and horrible host advantages.
Now, they are switching back. I hope this time, it's for good.

Status
Not open for further replies.