Installing more RAM to an MSI GE60 ?

So, I have an MSI GE60 0ND laptop with an intelCore i5, 8gb RAM and an Nvida Geforce GTX660M. Basically I want to upgrade my RAM to 16gb, is this possible and if so, how? :) Thanks for all the help in advance :)
7 answers Last reply
More about installing ram msi ge60
  1. Henri Virtanen said:
    So, I have an MSI GE60 0ND laptop with an intelCore i5, 8gb RAM and an Nvida Geforce GTX660M. Basically I want to upgrade my RAM to 16gb, is this possible and if so, how? :) Thanks for all the help in advance :)


    Hi,

    Yes it is possible. You can install two 8 GB modules for the maximum upgrade of 16 GB. Check if the existing 8 GB is a single 8 GB or two 4 GB modules, then upgrade accordingly.

    Check out this link for compatible memory upgrades: http://www.memorystock.com/memory/MicrostarIntGE600ND.html

    Good luck!
  2. Thank you ! So I have to open the back cover of the laptop and take a peek inside, how far do i have to dig until i catch a glimpse of the memory?
  3. Henri Virtanen said:
    Thank you ! So I have to open the back cover of the laptop and take a peek inside, how far do i have to dig until i catch a glimpse of the memory?


    Dissassembly is not necessary. You can just use their scan utility: http://www.memorystock.com/memscanner/SysInfo.exe
  4. OK this is what I got!

    Compatible memory required for : Model Name: GE60 0NC\0ND | Motherboard Model: MS-16GA | Maximum Memory: 32 GB | Total Slots: 4 (Currently Memory in 2 Slots) | Memory Size: 4096 MB,4096 MB, | Memory Speeds:1600 MHz,1600 MHz, | Processor Speed: 2501 |
  5. Henri Virtanen said:
    OK this is what I got!

    Compatible memory required for : Model Name: GE60 0NC\0ND | Motherboard Model: MS-16GA | Maximum Memory: 32 GB | Total Slots: 4 (Currently Memory in 2 Slots) | Memory Size: 4096 MB,4096 MB, | Memory Speeds:1600 MHz,1600 MHz, | Processor Speed: 2501 |


    The scan report shows two 4 GB modules installed. Though the '4' slots might be incorrect. This model has only 2 slots. You can replace one of the existing modules or replace both modules with 8 GB each for the maximum upgrade.

    Do another scan using the CPU Z app: ftp.cpuid.com/cpu-z/cpu-z_1.65-en.zip

    If even in this application shows 4 slots, then you can upgrade upto 32 GB. But I believe it'll show 2 slots, occupied with two 4 GB modules of PC3-12800.
  6. well i clicked on the SPD tab and after that on the drop down menu for memory slot selection and it shows 4 different slots:

    In slot 1, it's listed to have 4gb of RAM DDR3, slot 2 is empty, slot 3 is listed to have 4gb of RAM DDR3 and slot 4 is empty.

    I ran both the 32 bit and 64 bit version and both showed the same thing.
  7. Henri Virtanen said:
    well i clicked on the SPD tab and after that on the drop down menu for memory slot selection and it shows 4 different slots:

    In slot 1, it's listed to have 4gb of RAM DDR3, slot 2 is empty, slot 3 is listed to have 4gb of RAM DDR3 and slot 4 is empty.

    I ran both the 32 bit and 64 bit version and both showed the same thing.


    This seems confusing. According to official specs, it has to have 2 Slots only. If you can remove the access panel under the laptop like in this below pic, then you can have your final answer. Two 8 GB. As you see white and yellow stickers.

    http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7059/7001384708_8c310437c4_b.jpg
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops RAM Intel i5 Memory MSI-Microstar