i5 2500k Have I done a good step forward?

mystero233

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Hi all,
recently I have found that my old 775 motherboard is dying and as there is no point in buying old socket 775 mobo again, I have upgraded it to Asus P8Z77-V LX finally with DDR3 RAM, but I have been waiting for some reasonable price even second hand processor. Till now I have been using Core 2 Quad Q9400 and jut yesterday i have finally found good price bargain for socket 1155 CPU which was i5 2500K. I have payed £100 for it. It haven't been overclocked yet and it is still 2 years in warranty. In a matter of money I think it was a good choice. But my question is if it was a good choice in matter of power and upgrade as for the same price there have been another i5 3350P. It is newer, but on the cpuboss it is performing mostly the same, but in a matter of OC is far, far, far....... behind. I'm just checking if I have not made a mistake by buying 2500K at this time and for that price as it is quite old now. I will definitely overclock it in the future. At the moment I'm just amazed by new UEFI BIOS, win loading speed under 1min, etc :)

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Of course there are better CPUs out there but I´d say it was a pretty solid choice.
Usually, i5-2500k overclock so damn fine. Depending on what you are planning to do with it, I´d say you´ll be fine with for the next 1.5-2 years.

I would have kept my 2500k, too, if it wasn´t for the Z87 features. ;)

mystero233

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008

I would use it for some photoshop work and casual gaming (when my gf is not at home :sarcastic: ) Mostly for bf3 (as on the old one I had 9fps for last half year because of my MB failure) and maybe some other games. Yesterday I have tried the Metro Last Light benchmark with everything on completely maximum and 1920x1080. With my GTX 560Ti 448 Cores I have scored roughly 17 fps which is not too bad at such a high settings. Do you think the overclocking gives me even more frames or it is just GPU related?

Som3one

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Honestly, I have no idea how the GTX560Ti performs.
But when I was playing BF3 on my 2500k with a 7970GHz, I would hardly hit 75% CPU load @ 4GHz.

BF3 is said to be more GPU dependend.

But since the 2500k overclocks so well, why not get it to a (very) safe OC at something around 4.2GHz and anjoy a few additional FPS. ;)

mystero233

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008

Yeah, well I found that bf3 is kind of CPU related game too. My old mobo failure is based at Voltage supplied to CPU as it is getting only 0.99V as default instead of 1.2 and also multiplier is jumping between 4 and 8 (probably because of the low voltage) so every CPU based app is very slow. Even Full HD movies must be played trough the GPU otherwise the sound will be forward than the movie which will run slower. Also bf3 with 9fps looks like this kind of application which needs lots of CPU power. On the other hand Far Cry 3 and Crysis 3 can run quite smooth in comparison to the bf3 which means that they rely mostly on GPU power than the CPU. Well but all of this is now irrelevant as I have new RIG..unfortunately I'm at work and I can not play with it :??:

mystero233

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2008
Still, there is only one person who replied to my main question. Is it a good step forward with this CPU for price/performance and also for the future? Let say for 2 years? I just still have it in my head that I have just spend money for something quite old :(