Sign in with
Your question

Asus P8h77 First start. Fans on, Hdd Jitters then nothing. No screen feedback, no post beep. Help?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 8, 2013 1:09:51 PM

I have Intel I5 3570k with 4gb corsair veng RAM, 500w corsair cx psu 1tb barracuda hdd. Not sure if i plugged the hdd into the correct sata slot though.

Only have the power switch plugged in for ease of switching on(build is in case). No percieved problems with installation of previous parts, although its my first build so i may have touched a bad place.

Pressing the power button results in all fans(cpu,chassis) switching on, and a slight jitter of the the hdd. then nothing. no post beep even though the mic is in. there is a continious red light at the mem ok button.

Has anybody got any suggestions? thank you.
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 1:16:27 PM

Did you push the Memok button, that will try to set the DRAM
July 8, 2013 1:45:28 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Did you push the Memok button, that will try to set the DRAM

I did. It went through a series of restarts and the light flashed fasterxeaxh time, then it started a final time just as it first did and nothing has changed
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 1:49:45 PM

Try with a single stick in slot 1, if you can get to BIOS, enable XMP, select profile 1, save, exit, shutdown, install other stick in slot and try booting
July 8, 2013 2:04:44 PM

Tradesman1 said:
Try with a single stick in slot 1, if you can get to BIOS, enable XMP, select profile 1, save, exit, shutdown, install other stick in slot and try booting

I'm sorry. A lot of that didn't make any sense to me. Are we talking sticks of ram now? And i'm unsure about which slot is slot 1. i only have one ram stick also.
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 2:06:29 PM

The slot closet to the CPU and yes a stick is a DIMM of DRAM
July 8, 2013 2:17:07 PM

Tradesman1 said:
The slot closet to the CPU and yes a stick is a DIMM of DRAM

Okay tried. Same results?
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 2:22:13 PM

May be a bad stick, can try cleaning the connectors and try it in the next slot, but doesn't look promising
July 8, 2013 2:28:13 PM

Tradesman1 said:
May be a bad stick, can try cleaning the connectors and try it in the next slot, but doesn't look promising

Thank you for your help I will try that, see if it helps. For my peice of mind and general knowledge, can you tell me if its a possibility of another part being defective, such as the cpu or would it never have started at all if that were brokwn. i really don't know anything about this stuff
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 2:40:38 PM

It could be a number of things, tell you what, I have a troubleshooting guide I wrote, it may help, you can find it here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11279

prob be quicker than back and forth here on the site
July 8, 2013 2:51:33 PM

Tradesman1 said:
It could be a number of things, tell you what, I have a troubleshooting guide I wrote, it may help, you can find it here:

http://www.gskill.us/forum/showthread.php?t=11279

prob be quicker than back and forth here on the site

Yeah seems like i've been unlucky Nd got some peice of defective hardware. Ah, not sure what to do now. Thank you for your help though
a c 841 Ĉ ASUS
a c 1601 V Motherboard
July 8, 2013 4:51:43 PM

If you can get your hands on another stick or two can try it/them if it/they work then the sticks prob the culprit
!