Computer reboots on Windows 7 startup screen

eclipszor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Computer: Dell Inspiron 560, Windows 7 64-bit

After the bios loads up, the computer restarts as the windows 7 logo just starts to appear.

What I know: The owner said that he was installing some plug-in before the problem started occurring.

What I've tried:

1st attempt: I used the partition to format the drive and reinstall the operating system back to factory settings. That failed, so I picked up the computer and brought it to my house.

2nd attempt: I took the hard drive out and ran a chkdsk /r on the drive, and defraged it for kicks.

3rd attempt: I removed the CMOS battery. WALLA, fixed? system booted up normally, I set up the user account, and decided to restart just to make it was fixed. SAME RESTART LOOP. Removing the battery and draining the power only works for one boot, then I have to do remove the battery and do it again.

4th attempt: Removed CMOS battery completely and booted up the computer. I can't recall if it worked or not, but if it did, it only worked for that one boot. Continuing to restart without CMOS battery inside didn't fix the problem.

5th attempt: Updated BIOS to DELL's latest update.

6th attempt: Check memory, replaced the PC3 memory with one of my own from my computer, same problem.

7th attempt: Changed the data cable to the hard drive with the one that was being used for the DVD-RW. Didn't fix the problem.

8th attempt: I reseated all the cables in the computer, including a reseat of the CPU with a brand new layer of thermal paste. Didn't fix the problem.

Now that I've gone through what I've done, I would love to read some theories and questions you guys might have. I am going to replace the CMOS batter with one of my own to see if that fixes the problem (Some times batteries can be retarded). I am also going to reinstall windows to see if I may have missed some option about uninstalling EVERYTHING.

eclipszor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I think I figured out the problem... CPU fan.

When I reset the CMOS, the system fans were set to max by default. After restarting, the fan settings went to normal and the CPU is overheating. I used SpeedFan to check the temps and the CPU is running around 45 degree C when fans are at max speed (Obviously not ideal). Unfortunately, the bios has no settings for fan speeds. I think I'm going to have to find a bios that works for this DELL computer, and is going to allow me to change fan settings. I've never installed a different BIOS that wasn't standard for the PC, so I'm going to have to read into this.

eclipszor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
Cant find a BIOS that is ganna work. Ganna need some help if any one can offer it. Or if there's a way to rig the fan so it runs at full speed. It's a 4-pin fan on a 4-pin board. The bios offers no fan speeds or even temps...
Mobo: g43t-dm1 v: a00

Already changed CMOS battery -> no go
Reapplied thermal paste and secured fan -> no go
Reinstalled windows just incase -> no go

eclipszor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
I ordered a 3-pin fan to replace the 4-pin so it will run at a constant speed, and ultimately keep the CPU cooler. Wish me luck.

eclipszor

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2012
The fan I ordered wasn't powerful enough... I don't even think there is a fan that is going to support the socket I need and do 4800+ RPMs. Oh well. I would have been interested to see if this was really going to fix the problem, but my friend doesn't want to spend more than $15.