Socket AM3 CPU fan & heatsink compatible with socket AM3+?

robotdinosaur

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Greetings. I am looking into setting up a second rig soon with the following CPU:

AMD FX-8120 Zambezi 3.1GHz Socket AM3+ 125W Eight-Core Desktop Processor FD8120FRGUBOX

I've heard good things about it (not just from newegg), but I've also heard that the stock fan is junk and I shouldn't even consider running it without a replacement fan & heatsink.

So I'm wondering if I should be looking exclusively for socket AM3+ compatible CPU fans and heatsinks (which I cannot find!), or if socket AM3-compatible CPU fans and heatsinks will suffice as a replacement.

P.S. if you have any input on this processor I would be glad to hear it!
P.P.S. if you run this CPU and recommend liquid cooling please say so as I am also considering this route.

Thanks!

As for that cpu most fans that fit am3 fit am3+ For air the Coolermaster hyper 212 EVO is a good cooler. As for water that is only if you are planning heavy OC, and with that the entry level water coolers get out performed by some air coolers. So if you want water go for something like the Corsair H100/H100i or the thermaltake water 2.0 extreme.