Micro ITX Home Computer Build

Sidzz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Building a Micro ITX Home computer for the family. Would like to know your input. I am designing this for my wife/kids as a family computer. I decided to go haswell for more of a equal processing/graphic performance instead of going FM2 for graphics or AM3+ for processing power. The case has a glossy quality finish to it and looks sleek, my goal is something that kind of looks like a console but more classy. I picked two sticks of 4GB to leave room for another additional two should they ever be needed. The cooler is a new one by Xigmatek but looks nice. I was going to go for a CM GeminII M4 but after seeing this I like the idea of dual fans as this case is quite compact and needs more cooling it seems.

What do you guys think? My main concern is will it be cool enough?

Case: Sentey Slim 2420
PSU: SeaSonic SS-350SFE
Mobo: ASUS H87M-E LGA 1150
CPU: Intel Core i5-4570
RAM: Kingston HyperX Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600
HDD: WD Blue WD10EZEX
Optical: ASUS 24X DVD Burner
Cooler: Xigmatek Janus Low Profile cooler

Zynch

Honorable
May 26, 2013

As this is just going to be a family computer and you are aiming to cram everything into such a slim case i would say the cooling is fine; though i would recommend buying some additional fans to replace those in the case which may not be very noise: performance friendly

Sidzz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Yeah I forgot to add that I was going to get a 80mm fan replacement for the case fan that it comes with. Unfortunately, there is only two exhaust fans on the case. The one 80mm on the top, and the PSU one on the mobo side of the case. There is venting along the top and back, and a 80mm size vent(no fan mounts) on the left side of the case kind of in front of the cpu cooler. I am just hoping that the airflow in and out will be sufficient. Like I don't want it running above 35-40c.

Zynch

Honorable
May 26, 2013

Good luck getting it to 40C:
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/core-i7-4770k/t3.png

^yes i know it is a different chip but it showcases how hot things get compared to the previous gen

Sidzz

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Ouch what about an ivy bridge i5 to my haswell i5? Maybe I should build an ivy bridge machine? I was thinking more along the lines of cutting down power as much as possible and upping graphics. I know the FM2 cpu's can get quite hot too, maybe APU's just have a problem with heat?

I also realised I could use a Noctua NH-L12 for the cooler. That could possibly help my chances out there.

Zynch

Honorable
May 26, 2013

yeah, noctua make great coolers, i would say (in terms of heat) yes get an Ivy