Lose Power Instantly - Not PSU Issue

Michael Willer

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
Hi, I've been a ghost here for a while but just now encountered an issue that has me stumped.

THE SETUP: I have a home-built computer, AZZA Solano case, ASUS p8z-77v mobo, Intel 3770K CPU, 32gb RAM (I edit video), and a 900w CoolMax PSU.

All this I bought new. The GPU, a GTX 580, I bought on eBay.

This system has run flawlessly for 8 months.

Recently, I came home and it was off (though I had left it on). I tried to power up. It would flicker and die before anything came on the screen. So I took it to a repair technician who diagnosed the PSU. I RMAed it, got a free one back, hooked it up and she's good to go. Perfect.

MY PROBLEM: Now, whenever I start up a game or try to edit video, my computer *seems* to lose power. It's instantly off. No blue screen, no artifacting, just total power loss and then it auto-reboots. I can surf the internet, write in word documents, and leave her on overnight to my heart's content, but when I do those two things she crashes within 5 minutes. Usually less.

The case has great cooling and I have a custom fan on the CPU. I also have an AC unit directly in front of the case feeding it cool air. Heat doesn't seem to be an issue.

I sent the RMAed PSU back for inspection, they told me it was working fine and had no issues, sent it back. I re-hooked everything back up, tested it out: same issue.

I have a feeling my GPU may be bad now. Is there an expert out there who can help me confirm this? It's the one part I have that's not under warranty.

UPDATE: I disabled the GPU processing in my video editor (Premiere Pro CS6) and it's been running for 30 minutes, no issue. Seems more and more like the GPU...

All help is greatly appreciated!

Your powersupply is a crappy brand. Replace it with something reputable like Corsair, Seasonic, Antec or XFX

Then again, it atleast appears to be 80+ with a decently heavy 12v rail. Suprising for Coolmax for sure.

Michael Willer

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I know that now, and I nearly did replace it, but it has plenty of power to run the system and they've tested this unit; it seems to be functioning perfectly. For causing the first issue I will never be buying CoolMax again, but it doesn't seem to be the problem right now.