Sign in with
Your question

SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 7970 GHz Edition 3GB psu install

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 9, 2013 4:01:35 PM

Hello, i recently bought a SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 7970 GHz Edition 3GB card and im having trouble plugging it in my psu. it has two 8-pin outlets and my psu is a Thermaltake 650w. i have a pci-e cable for two 6-pins but i was thinking about getting two 6-pin to 8-pin adapters but im not sure if its necessary. Whats the best way to plug in this graphics card?
July 9, 2013 4:07:54 PM

You'll need to get the adaptors, without those two extra pins the card will not work.
July 9, 2013 4:11:08 PM

coozie7 said:
You'll need to get the adaptors, without those two extra pins the card will not work.

thats what i thought. i also heard theres power issues with the adapters. is it worth taking the risk?

Related resources
July 9, 2013 4:14:01 PM

I am surprised that PSU does not have a 6+2 pin connector. Can you link it?
I think an adapter would be ok though not optimal.
July 9, 2013 4:19:31 PM

smeezekitty said:
I am surprised that PSU does not have a 6+2 pin connector. Can you link it?
I think an adapter would be ok though not optimal.

my psu has 3 cables that are permanently installed. ones for the mobo power, ones a 4+4-pin, and the last one is a 2+6-pin. but i thought a card can only be plugged in a pci-e outlet. heres a link to the psu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
July 10, 2013 4:26:06 AM

There is a modular cable/s included for this purpose, they/it are of the 6+2 type. By inserting the plug with the small 2-pin add on attached you'll have an 8 pin plug.
!