SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 7970 GHz Edition 3GB psu install

Hello, i recently bought a SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 7970 GHz Edition 3GB card and im having trouble plugging it in my psu. it has two 8-pin outlets and my psu is a Thermaltake 650w. i have a pci-e cable for two 6-pins but i was thinking about getting two 6-pin to 8-pin adapters but im not sure if its necessary. Whats the best way to plug in this graphics card?
5 answers Last reply
More about sapphire vapor 7970 ghz edition 3gb psu install
  1. You'll need to get the adaptors, without those two extra pins the card will not work.
  2. coozie7 said:
    You'll need to get the adaptors, without those two extra pins the card will not work.

thats what i thought. i also heard theres power issues with the adapters. is it worth taking the risk?
  3. I am surprised that PSU does not have a 6+2 pin connector. Can you link it?
    I think an adapter would be ok though not optimal.
  4. smeezekitty said:
    I am surprised that PSU does not have a 6+2 pin connector. Can you link it?
    I think an adapter would be ok though not optimal.

my psu has 3 cables that are permanently installed. ones for the mobo power, ones a 4+4-pin, and the last one is a 2+6-pin. but i thought a card can only be plugged in a pci-e outlet. heres a link to the psu. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153116
  5. There is a modular cable/s included for this purpose, they/it are of the 6+2 type. By inserting the plug with the small 2-pin add on attached you'll have an 8 pin plug.
Ask a new question

Read More

Sapphire Graphics