Dificult wifi setup - Using 2 routers to share a wifi signal

fscussel

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
What I'm trying to do is:

wifiA(Int signal) <-wireless-> router A <-cable-> router B (AP) <-> Devices

problem is wifiA will vary, so I need router A to have a fixed IP for itself. Router B also needs fixed IP, cause I need to get in A setup to connect to other networks. If it has dinamyc IP it's hard to know what the ip is.

biggest problem is that since I will connect to different wifi's the subnet could be 192.168.1.XXX, 192.168.0.XXX, 192.168.5.XXX

so router A would be connected to a 192.168.0.1 for example, while in the same time I need it to have an ip of 192.168.1.100 for itself. How to do that?

also I am confused on how to configure both routers in the following fields:

Operation mode: bridge or NAT DHCP client, server, off subnet mask IP of each router (does it have to be in a range? I'm using 192.168.1.100 for A and 192.168.1.100 for B)

also, how should I interconnect both routers, in 1 to 4 router A linking to Internet port router B? or both in the 1-4 ports?

I am too tired to night to reread this to determine exactly what ip you are using where. Router b you want to run in ap mode you do not want it to anything with ip. That is what a AP does it is pretty much layer 2. Router A will control the IP and DHCP.

If router A has a issue with duplicate ip on the wan and lan side you best bet is to use another of the private blocks. You can use 10.x.x.x so you should be able to find a free one and is is highly unlikely if you pick randomly you will get a conflict.