PCI Graphics Card for HTPC?

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013
I have a Mini-ITX motherboard with a Via Nano L2007 CPU. It only has a PCI slot, so any graphics card I want to add to it has to be PCI only. From what I remember, PCI graphics cards have always been rare because of AGP and later PCIe. But a few do exist and I found a GeForce GT 610 from Zotac which supports PCI slots. Are there better PCI graphics cards though?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
I'm afraid you don't have much choice for anything faster. The PCI gfx cards available are basically that speed and slower. The HD 5450 would be the only one that would be close, and it is about the same speed... basically integrated graphics speed.

Genralkidd

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2013

So I guess it doesn't really matter what kind of GPU you have for the PCI bus? Is the GeForce GT 610 pretty much as good as the PCI bus will allow? Even if a GTX Titan were to be made for the PCI bus it'd be the same as the GT 610?

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
No, I believe the PCI buss can support faster cards. I just don't think the manufacturer's see a market for higher-end cards for that platform, so they just market low end cards for users who just need "a card". But check the used cards that might be available. Something from a years back may be available that is faster. Maybe ebay.