Gaming: Native Resolution vs Response Time

Jun 12, 2013
Which one should we prioritize or other word. Which one should we sacrifice?
Plus all the High Native Resolution such as 2560x1440p are not 120Hz Monitor.
This is in consideration of 1 Monitor and 3 Monitor Setup.

Hi - Yes, you need to be aware of response time, but the issue with that and many of the specs
that the brand(s) list need to be corroborated by lab reviews. You can't take the
suppliers word for it.

Also, in real world situations there no noticeable difference between say 4ms & 8ms.

And yes, I agree go for the best resolution you can afford.

If you will be primarily gaming, panel type isn't a big issue. If, however, you do
any photo or video editing, you should consider an IPS or equiv panel for
the generally superior color and wider viewing angle.

Fussing about advertised specs is an exercise in frustration as there's very little truth in advertising. Some manufacturers publish factual data and even advertise specs which most of their units exceed....i.e. Eizo.

Other manufacturer's respond to criticism in this regard by saying ..."oh no, we advertise black to black response time, not gray to gray" (the industry standard)

Visit reputable test sites and focus less on the numbers and more on the reviewers conclusions. :

Gaming: Asus 144 Hz TN Panels
Photo Editing : Dell IPS Panels

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

Huge +1 to disregarding manf specs. It's like trusting OCZ that the Vertex 3 actually will push over 500MB/s as standard. Infact it's worse. Jack is 100% correct about the value of tftcentral.co.uk (honestly one of the most informative and educational sites about any kind of technology I've ever come across). And toyftw is absolutely right about response times. To illustrate:

A 6ms IPS panel:

philips_273e3qhsb.jpg

Now see how another 6ms IPS panel performs:

dell_u2410.jpg

And an 8ms panel so you can see just how much that counts for :)

nec_p232w.jpg

I'd argue strongly argue the case for using IPS/PLS for gaming. With an effective RTC Overdrive like ASUS's Trace Free feature, you can get exceptional response without sacrificing image quality by using a TN film panel. The left images above are best-case-scenarios while right side is worst-case-scenarios. Very few monitors (even TN) that will achieve such excellent response as the 2nd and 3rd monitors there (both IPS). Your best all-round option is IPS/PLS with good RTC. I'd recommend the ASUS PB278Q.

+1^^

ochirutenshi

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
Sorry guys been away from comp for so long because working out of town in sort of jungle because of agriculture industry. Just came back an read this. But i bought a comp before i go out of town and i pick samsung S27A950DSL. its really good design and fit the room pretty. It also have good quality and i love how it works. Im giving thumbs up to it. Though my plan to 3 monitor it, i still havent got the time and i didnt know how it will look with quite big bazel in between monitor. But so far its beautiful. Hope this helps the next people who read this post.

ochirutenshi

Honorable
Jun 12, 2013
With little response, though the answer is quite satisfying. Sorry for long pick of best answer. Now i decided and may it be usefull for others. Though sorry the post has been shut it seems, since it took so long and there is no button for best solution. But i pick "TOYFTW" answer