New build problem, believe to be CPU

Borag62

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
First post so bare with me if it's a bit messy.

About a month ago, a friend and I started a computer build. The build went pretty smooth only having an issue with the case missing a standoff for the motherboard. We installed everything but the optical drive as it had not come in yet. We wired everything up, hooked up the monitor, keyboard, and mouse and booted it up into the bios without an issue. Because we didn't have the optical drive we just turned the system off and waited.

The optical drive came in a couple days later, we installed it, and turned the system on, again without any issues. However, the operating system did not come in yet. Again we shut the system down and again we waited.

The operating system finally comes in. And we go to turn the system on and it turns on the immediately off. I'm talking a split second the lights and fans turn on the right off. Weird.

I read through the guides and many other similar posts you have here and tried everything. My first test was the power supply. I took the power supply out of my computer that has been running for close to 2 years now and wired it to this new computer and same thing, on for a split second then immediately off.

Next thing I did was removed and unplugged everything from the motherboard except the CPU, its heatsink and fan, the 8 pin CPU connector, and the 24 pin power connector. I placed the motherboard on a piece of cardboard to make sure it wasn't shorting out on the case anywhere. Again it just turned on for a split second, then turned off. So it has to be either the motherboard or CPU...correct?

I researched it further and read that CPUs rarely fail and that most of the time the motherboard will fail first. So we ordered a new motherboard. The same one we originally had thinking maybe it was a defective piece. We also ordered a set of standoffs for the case as it was missing one and I wanted to eliminate any small issue that may be causing this. We installed the new motherboard and standoffs and again only installed the CPU, its heatsink and fan, and plugged in the 8 pin and 24 pin connectors. Same thing again, on then immediately off.

And this is where I stand currently. After performing these tests, does this ultimately narrow it down to the CPU?? Its the only thing I can think of now. I don't want to spend the money on a new CPU and the problem persist. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

I will post the specs of the computer tomorrow as soon as I can get them. My friend has the paper work with the information.

Borag62

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Thank you for the reply.

Once the issue started, I stopped using the case power switch to turn the system on. The motherboard has a power button installed directly on it which is what I've been using.

Borag62

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

When the second motherboard come in I inspected the pins very carefully before installing the CPU and all the pins looked to be okay.

Borag62

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

I have been testing it without the RAM completely, just the CPU, its fan and heatsink, with the 8 and 24 pin connectors from the power supply plugged into the motherboard. From what I have read, it should still turn on and give me a beep pattern to let me know that there is no RAM installed. Is this correct?