Video Files On HardDrive Corruptible?

Robert Thurman

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Hi recently a friend gave me a portable toshiba harddrive with all sorts of video formats on it, unfortunately i accidentally bumped the harddrive against a wall as I was walking and I wonder if it would of damaged or effected any of my video files?

please email me at
robthurman27@gmail.com

smitbret

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
The files specifically, no? You can't "shake loose" files.

The Hard Drive itself? Possible.

Was the HDD on at the time? The only way to know would be to playback the files. If those files are damaged then the HDD is damaged and you'll probably wanna get a new HDD and start on some data recovery ASAP.

Plug it in and see. That would be the first step to see if it works.

Dominiac5601

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Have you tried it on your computer since then?
Not all hard drive would be seriously damaged for dropping or shocking.
So, simply connect it to your computer and check whether there is a problem by running Chkdsk like this:
Right Click you drive in My Computer > Properties > Tools > Check Now > Mark “Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors".

If this drive could not be read functionally, such as receiving some error message, you'd better format this drive to see whether it could be fixed. All right! Do you have a backup of everything important? If not, you'd better restore your all your important data at first and then format it latter.

Check more information of data recovery freeware here:
blog4mark.blogspot.com/2012/11/how-to-repair-corrupted-pen-drive.html

If this drive could not be read completely, you may get some physical problems, you'd better ask an expert for help, if the inner data is really important.