Severe Computer Problems.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
My computer (which is a tower I built only a few months ago) just recently started turning off (not shutting down, it just turns itself off) or freezing, (the type of freezing where the computer instantly locks up and stops working, where the picture on the screen stays the same and the noise the computer was making stays the same).

The problem persisted overnight so I went into the bios screen to see if my RAM was running under the right settings (it was running under the recommended settings for the RAM). So I looked some stuff up online and decided to run a memtest. I put Memtest86+ on a flash drive and tried to run it on my computer in an almost barebones configuration (took out both my video card and my sound card), but the problem persisted. The computer kept rebooting randomly during the extremely long test to the point of starting a rebooting loop (where it rebooted endlessly until I just shut it off) which I stopped by removing the RAM and trying to start the computer in different RAM configurations. ( By the way Memtest86+ takes a super long time to run, we're talking like 6 hours for a couple "run-through"s of the program).

Eventually I got it to work long enough for the program to finish a couple times and I got 2 Passes and no errors as the result. Unfortunately after I finished said test the computer will not bring anything up on my screen and when it has any RAM inside it, it will turn on, turn off, then will not respond to another "turn on" command unless I turn off the power source then turn it back on.

I'd love any help that any of you could give me.

Thanks.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i7-3770k Ivy Bridge
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-V DELUXE ATX Intel
RAM: G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB(2x8) DDR3 2400 F3-2400C10D-16GTX
Power Supply: CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
HDD: Western Digital WD Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5"
SSD: Kingston HyperX 3K SH103S3/120G 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Is the ram voltage at 1.65v? If so, i'd suggest dropping the speed down to say 1600mhz just to check if the same problem persists and if so, time to rma.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Okay, after I did that (and yes, the RAM voltage was at 1.65v) I got a new problem. The screen started flashing different colors, then the computer shut itself off.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

This all happened before I even had the opportunity to reset my CMOS.

The computer is now in an infinite boot loop w/out putting up anything on my monitor. The boot loop seems to be ending after a couple restarts, but when it does end the computer doesn't put anything up on my monitor and it never gives my the "I'm working" beep from the motherboard. It's doing that w/ both sticks of RAM in and with either one in by itself. When I take them both out I get the usual "I don't have RAM in me" noise from the motherboard.

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010

Take out the cmos battery and press the power button several times. Leave battery out for further 30secs or so and then place batt back in. With pc still powered down but plugged in (like in standby), press and hold the cmos reset button for like 5secs. Now press/toggle the mem ok switch/button and power up the pc. If the problem persists, change both sticks from either the black slots to the blue slots or blue slots to black. If this fails, i'd look at returning the mem sticks.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Did all that, now it's just rebooting a few times before just sitting there with the MemOK LED on. At this point I think I'm just taking recommendations on whether it's dead RAM or a dead motherboard.

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
I'd say ram. Email G.Skill and mention the prob (make sure you say u'v tested em with memtest). They ram comes with lifetime warranty.

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Final thing to test (if you don't mind in doing it). When you slot in your memory sticks and the retaining clips clip into place, give a hard push with your palm forcing the memory in. This has solved this problem on asus boards many times.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
So, new problems with new RAM. My computer when booted up is (under correct RAM settings) is actually bringing me through to the BIOS screens and then (with my SSD with Windows 7 Installed on it plugged in correctly and seated well into my MB) onto a screen that says "Reboot and Select proper Boot device - or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key_"

This computer is making me angry...

blakmumba

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2010
Go into yr bios settings and make the ssd (win drive) as primary drive or like on asus board move up to 1st position under boot settings

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
Did that and got the same error. I changed it to "Windows Boot Manager" and it seems to be working... Will post update if I have continued success or failure. Thanks for your help.

plax77

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
OKAY! Update.

I got the computer working for a grand total of 30 minutes before I shut it down and headed off to work. Came back, booted it up, all was jolly for about an hour and then CRASH. The screen froze. Then I'm getting errors from day one again. All this with the new RAM. To clarify the errors were that the computer would load to the loading windows screen and then turn off (not shut down, but turn off) Any ideas?