Sign in with
Your question

Recommendation for a new CPU/Mobo

Last response: in Systems
July 10, 2013 4:50:29 AM

Here's the rundown -

Approximate Purchase Date: This month

Budget Range: around £500 +/- £100 Best 'bang for my buck' rules apply :) 

System Usage from Most to Least Important: 90% gaming / 10% internet

Are you buying a monitor: Not at the moment. I'm using a standard 1080p 24" at the moment but will be looking to upgrade to a nice 1440p 27" within 6 months time.

Parts to Upgrade: CPU and Mobo, possibly new cooler. PSU is a 1Kw Cooler Master Silent Pro so power is not an issue. Cooler is a Thermaltake Frio.

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Scan or EBuyer are my usual sites

Parts Preferences: I don't have a preference of board although onboard wireless is a plus. My main preference is the best (least difficult) CPU to O/C to ~4.5GHz

Overclocking: Yes. I always overclock my systems so this is an important feature and the main reason I'm asking for suggestions.

SLI or Crossfire: Yes. Current system has 2 GTX 570s in SLI so the new system will need to be SLI compliant. Will probably move to a non-SLI setup in the future but for now 2 570s still do the job just fine. Maybe when the 800 series comes along.

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 (2560x1440 in the near future)

Additional Comments: There's lots of opinions on whether to go Ivy even though 1155 is a dead socket or Haswell although there's been a lot of concern about it's O/C potential.

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I was a Sandy Bridge early adopter with an i7-2600K and Asus P8P67 Pro B1 Rev. board. I took the risk not sending it back during the recall determining by the time I ran into troubles I'd be looking to upgrade anyway. That day is now upon me as I'm having issues with the SATA ports :pfff: 

I know Hyperthreading is all but useless for gaming so the fistfight is really between the 3570k and 4670k and mobo to go with it. Any suggestions with supporting reasons are greatly appreciated!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
July 10, 2013 5:28:21 AM

Why not find a different / used LGA 1155 MB and keep the overclocked 2600k? It is still a very good CPU. This would be the cheapest solution and the best bang-for-the-buck...
July 10, 2013 7:47:53 AM

sadams04 said:
Why not find a different / used LGA 1155 MB and keep the overclocked 2600k? It is still a very good CPU. This would be the cheapest solution and the best bang-for-the-buck...

Tbh I would rather not buy a used/refurb board. The 2600k is doing just fine so I guess an updated question would be: What's a good Z77 option for the 2600k?
Related resources
July 11, 2013 4:26:05 AM

After perusing around at Z77 boards I've decided on the ASUS P8Z77-V Pro.

I'll use the money saved from buying another CPU towards purchasing that 27" monitor :) 
!