I always get ignored on Forums..

synario

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Not just here, but whenever I join a discussion, whether in a chat room, a forum, asking a question, starting a discussion, I consistently get ignored, and it's really frustrating, I'm usually lucky to get 1-2 responses total while other threads will get hundreds.

It seems the only way to get people interested in what you have to say is to be stupid, provocative, or discuss something that everybody else is already talking about.

I think my main issue is I usually put too much effort into my threads. Usually when I ask a serious question I put a ton of effort into trying to answer it myself within the first post, lots of details, trying to clear away all the obvious answers that aren't correct first, so they don't get asked in the first place.

Or maybe, I could just intentionally have horrendous grammar and spelling. At least the grammar nazi's will swarm to me then. :??:

Rsdevour

Distinguished
May 30, 2012
I understand your frustration synario. One thing you've always got to remember is that people are not obligated to respond to topic that you put up on the forum. Forums are usually all a community of people that stop by to answer the questions they see on their own and time. So just be patient and hope for the best. At least you end up getting a couple of comments and it's not a complete loss. Sometimes people just don't know how to answer the specific question. I know a lot of people are browsers in trying to find answers to their questions throughout the forum. All in all hang in there and be patient. If there's not a lot of answers heading your way then just realize people might not know the answer. Good luck to you!

Jacqster

Honorable
Oct 9, 2013
I have no idea, I have the same problem, makes me feel invisible. I like good grammar etc but I don't tell people off, I know that would be irritating. I do loads of typos anyway and it's not an English test. (Apostrophe not required in Nazis- it's plural lol).
Like you say you put in a lot of effort for no return, I think some people are generally lazy and can't be bothered to read too much. Also if you're well written they may fear you are cleverer than they. Could you be a threat? Are you you just too clever and they can't help?
On a forum local to me I tried to start a thread of 'did anyone go to ....school, who was your favourite teacher?' Not a single response...when I join in other threads no one responds to anything I say...
Good luck, chin up.

there are several reasons why you may not get a response....

-you do not use proper forum ettiquette. ie you create walls of text which are hard to read, no clear question or expectation or bad grammar.

-you are posting a question that nobody has an answer for or are requesting information too specific that nobody wants to answer because it could be a wrong answer. eg i want to know how to put an XYZ part in an ABC laptop.

-you're a prick. eg you state to not answer unless you know the answer and that you dont want your time wasted.

-you just get missed. sometimes posts just get completely missed by users browsing. it happens. after a few days reply with more information instead of bumping and give it another try. if no answer it is likely one of the other reasons.

-its not a very busy forum, you posted in the wrong section or the particular section you posted in doesnt get many pageviews. many people post pc builds in the opinions and experiences section here (instead of in hardware) which receives less than one tenth the traffic so usually only a few of us, myself included end up answering them.

-you are asking a personal question which people may not want to answer. eg what school did you go to, what is your name, etc.