I just put together my first pc build, here is my set up:

Motherboard: asus m5a97 le r2.0

Gpu: geforce gtx 670 ftw

Ram: kingston hyper x blu 2x4 gb

Case: coolermaster haf 912 mid

Hardrive: WD blue 1tb

Power unit: xfx pro power core edition 850 watt

Cpu: amd fx 8120 8-core

Ok so i put it all together. Haha. Ive breadboarded it and done so in the case. Motherboard led lights up, all fans work including the gpu fan. I can hear the hardrive spin up, case leds on. I have a dell monitor that i have been trying with it, and no matter what i try it wont get a picture. It just shows no sign of compliance with my pc. I did have to use a vga to dvi adapter on the cord tho. So whats the deal is it a broken card? Is it just the cord? Im lost. And would like to know before its too late to return anything!!!!

Solution
Okay 1) does that monitor work on other computers (check that first)
2) if you have a onboard video, why don't you plug the monitor to that FIRST, and see if the BIOS shows (that is where it goes first)
3) Lastly best bet, just have CPU, Mem and onboard video plugged in with power and nothing else. Can you get BIOS to start? If not then might have shorted the Mobo?
Jun 29, 2013

tell the bios to use the pcie x16 lane to recognize the video card

Aurarock

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Well i cant get to the bios cuz my monitor isnt showing anything man

Okay 1) does that monitor work on other computers (check that first)
2) if you have a onboard video, why don't you plug the monitor to that FIRST, and see if the BIOS shows (that is where it goes first)
3) Lastly best bet, just have CPU, Mem and onboard video plugged in with power and nothing else. Can you get BIOS to start? If not then might have shorted the Mobo?

Solution

Aurarock

Honorable
Jul 6, 2013

Yea the monitor was 'y brothers which he only used a week or two ago.
And as for the bios, my motherboard doesnt have an onboard gpu as far as i know. And yea ivr tried it with just that wen i breadboarded it.

BUT. I do think i may have solved at least a part of the problem last night ny looking at forums. It turns out i cant use the vga to dvi-I adapter because my motherboard only has dvi-D. This would explain alot. Ill post the putcome when i pick one up from a friend later.