7950 oc 3gb vs 7970 vapor 3 and 6 gb ?

zacksparrow

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
have a nice day every body i kind of having a technical question ....
thats my rig ..

FX 8350 oc'd to 4.6
hyper 212 turbo fan
8gb ram
3 hdd
7950 OCD edition 3gb GDDR5 ...
27 inch 950 Samsung 3d monitor 1920X1080P

is it better that i trade my card for a vapor x 7970 6gb gddr5 edition ? will their going to be a serious difference ? considering im only running one 27 inch screen 1920X1080p monitor .... the idea it self between the 3gb cards and the 6gb ones is it really worth it if your using just one monitor ? also will their going to be a serious difference if it traded my 7950 card by the 7970 bear in mind that i over clock my card to even higher frequencies than the stock 7970 ones and i havent even noticed any difference in gaming ... and its weird because in some games i can hardly keep 40-50FPS like tombraider and hitman and bioshock (all maxed )... but i can run alan wake and devil may cry at like 100 and 110 120 FPS and max payne at like 80-90 all maxed also and i just purchased remember me and im maxing every thing and its very smooth ... upgrading my card to 7970 will solve these issues or the point here is that these games are not well optimized and my system is already capable enough and need no upgrading ?

thanks ...

Solution
I believe the games you listed are console games that were ported to PC. Because console processors and PC processors don't use the same instruction set, the game engine cannot always translate the workload to multiple threads, so it relies on your processor's singethreaded performance, which isn't that great (it's not supposed to be; the 8350's appeal is that it has 8 cores and performs in multithreaded environments). If you're gaming on one FHD monitor, you couldn't possibly take advantage of more than 1GB of VRAM. Recently, Tom's Hardware proved definitively that even on super high resolutions, the 6GB models are pointless.

I don't think upgrading the GPU would be a good value for you. Like you said, your system is very capable...

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012
I believe the games you listed are console games that were ported to PC. Because console processors and PC processors don't use the same instruction set, the game engine cannot always translate the workload to multiple threads, so it relies on your processor's singethreaded performance, which isn't that great (it's not supposed to be; the 8350's appeal is that it has 8 cores and performs in multithreaded environments). If you're gaming on one FHD monitor, you couldn't possibly take advantage of more than 1GB of VRAM. Recently, Tom's Hardware proved definitively that even on super high resolutions, the 6GB models are pointless.

I don't think upgrading the GPU would be a good value for you. Like you said, your system is very capable. Maybe the Steamroller microarchitecture will hold the upgrade that will put your system over the edge.

Solution

zacksparrow

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

thank you so much for caring to help ... actually you really helped me ... i doubt the steamroller will going to be affordable i think it will a near price to the i7 plus i have just upgraded to 8350 after its price dropped from x6 1100T if i had that much money i would have upgraded to intel system but i believe that i7 processors and its mother boards though being very reliable are very expensive and i do love Amd and Ati more and they are so affordable and yet reliable ...

drewhoo

Honorable
Apr 5, 2012

If you would like to feel good about your current processor (and you have every reason to) then read this article: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-future-proofing-your-pc-for-next-gen

Though it won't help for current generation games, the 8 core AMD procs are supposed to really shine in the next generation of games. So your experience should only get better.

zacksparrow

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

thats really thoughtful :) ... thank you so much for your time and decency i was almost depressed that my system is supposed to be very good so why im not having good performance in gaming now ill wait for the next gen ones without any depression ...thanks again .... all the best ...