Black screen then computer reboots.

Expo86

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013
So I recently returned from a fairly long business trip (3 months), and I came back and my computer has started to have errors.

When I'm playing a game (FM2013, Borderlands 2), every so often my computer screen turns black and my computer reboots.

I've googled some solutions. First I cleaned out the inside of the computer of dust, I've updated my video card drivers. I've also monitored my hardware temperature with CPUID and found that the temperature of my video card stays around 55-70 with the highest peak of 80. I've also run memtest86 for about 24 hours, and encountered no errors.

My specs are:
Windows 7 x64
AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 255 Processor, 3100 Mhz
ASUSTek M4A78LT-M-ME
Radeon HD5770
OCZ Gamestream 700w

The only solutions listed that I haven't tried are updating my bios (not entirely sure how to do this, and some sites said I shouldn't update this unless i absolutely have to?), and a full reinstall of windows.

Any help on the issue would be appreciated! Thanks in advance! I'm not the most tech-savvy individual so if any solutions could be in the simplest terms that be awesome as well :)

just to clear any driver related issues download driver fusion and the latest amd beta drivers.

install driver fusion and then uninstall the current display driver and do not restart.
run driver fusion and do an amd driver clean then restart.
install latest amd drivers as a custom install and only install the display driver and hdmi audio driver and untick everything else that can be unticked even catalyst control centre.

run a game or two and see if the problem persissts.

also grab ccleaner and run the file cleaner and run the registry cleaner multiple times untill it finds no more errors.

Expo86

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

Thanks for the response! I tried both things (using driver fusion and reinstalling AMD beta and cleaning my registry with ccleaner), still having the same problem. Launch borderlands and 30-60 seconds later after entering a game, it crashes again. Could it just be that my video card is faulty/broken now?

Expo86

Honorable
Jul 10, 2013

my cpu temps (according to CPUID) range from a min of ~45C (113F) to about ~65C (149F). I'll give the physx system clean a shot tomorrow.