$3,500 - $4,000 - First Time Build - Need Advice!

Bghead8che

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
Hi Guys. I'm glad I found this forum. I am building my computer from the ground up and need some advice. I'm a definitely a noob.

My budget is $3.5K to $4K

System Usage: Gaming (27" monitor UHD), photo editing, web design, audiophile sound.

I have picked the following parts after spending hours combing the forums and reading reviews. Here are the parts I am eyeing:

Board - Asus SABERTOOTH Z87 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
CPU - Intel 4770K Haswell Z78
Cooler - Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
Case - Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
RAM - Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1866
HD - Corsair Neutron Series GTX 480GB 2.5" SSD
Sound - Creative Labs ZXR 24-bit 192 Hz Sound Card
PSU - Corsair Professional 1050W 80 PLUS ATX12V / EPS12V
GPU #1 - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
GPU #2 - EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card
OS - Windows 8 64-BIT
Monitor - Dell UltraSharp U2713H 27-inch

I do have a few questions that hopefully you guys can help me with.

1. Are any of these parts incompatible or just plain won't fit or work? This is my #1 concern!
2. Will the Corsair H100i fit in the R4 case easily w/out any modifications?
3. Will I have enough room for both graphics cards AND the Creative card (which requires two PCI slots)?
4. I'm open to suggestions. Any advice/suggestions/changes you would make?
5. Do I need to buy thermal paste? If so can you guys direct me to a specific paste that will work well?
6. I am only planning to do a mild overclock so I don't need "extreme" cooling.
7. Is this PSU adequate and compatible with my case choice and other components?
8. I picked the Dell U2713H because it is affordable, well reviewed, and is decent as a gaming monitor. Are there other options I may have missed that have great color accuracy and fast response times?
9. Will I run into issues with web design due to the fact this monitor is "wide gamut"?
10. Am I missing any other vital accessories that I may have overlooked?

Thanks in advance for any/all help. I hope to order the system tomorrow!

-Brian

1. All good for compatibility.
2. Yup
3. No, I would put the long one in the slot above the first graphics card, then the small one in between the two cards.
4. See after the questions
5. Nope, the H100i comes with some pre-applied.
6. 5Ghz is not a mild overclock...
7. I would say its overkill actually.
8. Good colour quality (which means an IPS or PLS panel) and fast response times are mutually exclusive.
9. If you use percentages rather than fixed positions in your web-design programs then the webpage should automatically adjust to a users screen resolution. However you will want to reduce your resolution to something more common (I believe that 1680x1050 is considered standard) to test if the formatting works.
10. Nope.

You really don't need spend $4000 on a gaming and photoshop machine, this rig will get you the same performance.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($279.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220 55.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($139.99 @ Microcenter)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z87X-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($137.99 @ NCIX US)
Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($125.74 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($92.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 780 3GB Video Card ($679.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 750W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($89.99 @ NCIX US)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Dell U2713HM 60Hz 27.0" Monitor ($599.98 @ Amazon)
Total: $2379.37
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 03:13 EDT-0400)

Unless you have a beastly sound setup to begin with, spending more than $30 on a sound card is just wasting money. If your running sub $100 headphones, a card like an ASUS Xonar DGX would be good for its headphone amp, but that would be about it.

1. It will fit.
2. It should. Might be a bit tricky, but it should fit fine.
3. Yes it should.
4. Will state below.
5. No. The one included with the Corsair H100i should be good enough, unless you want to waste $7-10 on paste that will lower your temps by 1-2c.
6. Only mild? I wouldn't go for a high-end cpu cooler then. What ghz are you planning to get?
7. Yes.
8. Possibly. Would be nice if you can add prices to each components, that way we might be able to find a better option.
9. Not really. If anything, it allows for easier multi-tasking.
10. Nope.

First off, I'll like to state that this system is a complete overkill in every single way.
Here's what I would do:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 65.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($78.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial Ballistix Sport 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($119.99 @ Microcenter)
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($329.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($403.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case ($105.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($554.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2743.68
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 03:12 EDT-0400)

-Sabertooth motherboards are a scam. It's expensive and the thermal armor actually traps heat in and re-circulates it. You're better off with the Extreme6.
-The Noctua NH-D14 performs nearly the same as the H100i as well as being cheaper, quieter and uglier.
-Low-profile RAM, also cheaper. Corsair Dominator Platinums are usually expensive.
-Slightly bigger SSD. Also added in a 2tb HDD for mass storage.
-Dropped the sound card. On-board audio is generally good enough, unless you have some $200-300 expensive speaker.
-850w is enough for SLI cards and overclocking.
-SLI 770 should be enough to max games on 1440p.
-Personally I like Asus monitors better.

Bghead8che

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
To clarify point #6 I am only planning to slightly overclock the system. 5 GHZ was joke. I should have been more clear.

-Brian

Bghead8che

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
You guys rock. Thanks for much for helping me out.

A few points after reading your comments.

1. I realize this system is overkill and definitely not a "bang-for-the-buck" build. However, I keep my computers for 3-4 years and what may seems like overkill now is a budget PC in 2-3 years. I would imagine in 4 years no one would say... "those dual GTX 780s are overkill". I like to buy the best I can afford now and then upgrade a few years later.
2. 480 GB should be fine for now. My current comp is 256 GB and only half full.
3. Is the general consensus that the PSU is overkill? Should I step down to around 850? The reason I picked he 1050W model was because most PC calculators showed I would need between 700 - 850 watts and I read an article that over time (2-4 years) you lose up to 30% of your power supply due to age. So this begets the question.... is it worth the extra $100 more or not? I may very well be able to go down and save the $$$. Thoughts?
4. Yes, fast gaming time and IPS are exclusive. That's what I can only choose the best that I can find. So I guess the questions is what 27", given the technology, is the fastest AND most accurate. The Dell just seems to fit the sweet spot and its more accurate than others like the ViewSonic series.
5. The sound card is admittedly overkill and I freely admit a splurge. I guess I consider myself and "audiophile" and I like the 124 SNR and new Burr Brown DACS. That being said, in the $200 is their another stand out card? The ASUS reviews are all over the place.
6. I know nothing about motherboards other than the reviews I read. I liked the fact that is was extra durable so I don't snap the damn thing. I've never heard of ASRock. Are there others you would suggest? I'll check out the reviews.

Realchaos, I'm going to look into the parts you suggested.

Thanks Manofchalk!

-Brian

even in 3 or 4 years, your rig is no where near budget

technically you will never need the i7 and 16gb of ram. you can have it if you want. photo editing doesnt need any horsepower anyways
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1fIiw

-no scamtooth boards
-dont joke with a h100i
-no reason to get ram sticks that perform the same yet cost double the price
-you should never need more than a 256gb drive for SSD storage. if you do, you are doing something wrong because all that goes on a SSD is the OS, apps, and games. unless you actually play 30 games, you wont need it
-the psu is overkill as already mentioned
-i opted for the arc midi but either one is great
-the asus works a little better for gaming as it is slightly faster. the dell was meant more for the pros who will never need speed and only accuracy
-opted for the asus sound card as it is meant more for your purpose. the zxr is great, just that i find they pile a lot of crap that you will never legitmately need just like how asus piles a ton of stuff with their ROG boards that you will never use

mastrom101

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
1. Are any of these parts incompatible or just plain won't fit or work? This is my #1 concern!
Yes.
2. Will the Corsair H100i fit in the R4 case easily w/out any modifications?
Yes, no worries.
3. Will I have enough room for both graphics cards AND the Creative card (which requires two PCI slots)?
Yes, it'll fit. You have enough PCI slots, but you may want to look into the XL version of the case.

4. I'm open to suggestions. Any advice/suggestions/changes you would make?
Yes sir, look below.

5. Do I need to buy thermal paste? If so can you guys direct me to a specific paste that will work well?
Nope, waste of money.

6. I am only planning to do a mild overclock so I don't need "extreme" cooling.
Correct.

7. Is this PSU adequate and compatible with my case choice and other components?
Yes, XFX makes good PSUs and you have enough wattage.

8. I picked the Dell U2713H because it is affordable, well reviewed, and is decent as a gaming monitor. Are there other options I may have missed that have great color accuracy and fast response times?
It's a great monitor!

9. Will I run into issues with web design due to the fact this monitor is "wide gamut"?
You shouldn't.

10. Am I missing any other vital accessories that I may have overlooked?
Nope, I don't think so!

My Suggestion:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($334.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock Z87 Extreme6 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory ($119.00 @ Newegg)
Storage: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($169.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 770 2GB Video Card (2-Way SLI) ($389.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Fractal Design Define XL R2 (Black Pearl) ATX Full Tower Case ($89.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: XFX ProSeries 850W 80 PLUS Gold Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($114.99 @ NCIX US)
Optical Drive: LG GH24NS95 DVD/CD Writer ($15.98 @ Outlet PC)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: Asus PB278Q 27.0" Monitor ($554.10 @ Amazon)
Total: $2486.97
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 23:07 EDT-0400)

My goal was to give you a great PC experience without a huge price tag. Since you only wanted a modest overclock, the 860 is more than adequate. The motherboard is a much better value than the sabertooth. I still went with a large SSD, just not as large. I picked SLI 770s, but you can swap them out for a single 780 if you want. I picked the XL version of the case for more room. I went for Home Premium, but pick up Professional if you want to upgrade to 32 GB down the road. Finally, I went with the Asus monitor, it's pretty similar to the dell model.

You honestly don't need a sound card. But if you really want that extra clarity, then this is the model I'd recommend. It's a step down from the ZxR, but it's still a great choice.
http://us.store.creative.com/Creative-Sound-Blaster-Zx-PCIe-Sound/M/B009XDWUCQ.htm