Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Review my build. First Gaming Rig in a decade, Lets Talk Motherboard, Case, Ram

Last response: in Systems
Share
July 11, 2013 8:31:01 AM

Here's my build:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Microcenter $200.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Microcenter $60.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($62.99 @ Microcenter)
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($259.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC FM08-W MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: AOC E2343FK 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $858.68
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 11:19 EDT-0400)
(500 W power supply and optical drive being harvested from other system)

Right now I basically have the cheapest reasonable case, mobo, and ram with 9 CAS I could find. The case is simple and has 120mm and 80mm fan with it. I don't plan on overclocking and would just as soon never even see the bios of this machine. I'm fairly uniformed on mobos, case, or ram considerations, tell me if I am doing something wrong. Should I add a fan or two to the build?

a c 358 4 Gaming
a c 130 V Motherboard
July 11, 2013 8:35:48 AM

You have no PSU listed.

Your motherboard will not fit in that case.

That motherboard will not overclock well because it has poor power phases.

The memory is fine.
July 11, 2013 8:40:30 AM

tiny voices said:
You have no PSU listed.

Your motherboard will not fit in that case.

That motherboard will not overclock well because it has poor power phases.

The memory is fine.


He is using an old PSU(Although not sure it will be enough)

His case will fit the motherboard(It is ATX even though it says mATX)

He isn't overclocking

And I agree, the memory is fine
Related resources
a c 358 4 Gaming
a c 130 V Motherboard
July 11, 2013 8:41:12 AM

What PSU specifically will you be using?
July 11, 2013 8:48:42 AM

Cooler Master eXtreme Power Plus 500w Power Supply (RS500-PCARD3-US) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G0WPLK/ref=oh_deta...

Bought it 6 months ago for my media PC, when I thought my old PSU was going bad. Turned out it was the video card, so I should be able to drop the old PSU back into the machine (which coincidentally I think is a 750W, but about 7-8 years old)
a c 358 4 Gaming
a c 130 V Motherboard
July 11, 2013 8:50:35 AM

Coolermaster PSUs are junk. Also, any 7 year old PSU should never be used.

You want to get a new 500w unit from Corsair, Seasonic, antec, XFX.
July 11, 2013 9:21:21 AM

tiny voices said:
Coolermaster PSUs are junk. Also, any 7 year old PSU should never be used.

You want to get a new 500w unit from Corsair, Seasonic, antec, XFX.


Sorry to question, but is that personal bias or more of a widely known, well tested kind of thing? I ask because coolermaster psus seem to have equal or in some cases even better newegg reviews than the brands you've listed.

a c 358 4 Gaming
a c 130 V Motherboard
July 11, 2013 9:44:54 AM

Coolermaster PSUs are junk. It is widely known. Coolermaster have been faulted for faking 80 plus certifications. They also over estimate their wattage on many units. Until about a month ago, they used a VERY low quality OEM and their units reflected it. If a coolermaster unit were to fail it would have a much higher risk of damaging components in the computer by over-volting. It also has a much higher risk of failure.

Plain and simple, they are not quality units.
July 11, 2013 3:04:53 PM

tiny voices said:
Coolermaster PSUs are junk. It is widely known. Coolermaster have been faulted for faking 80 plus certifications. They also over estimate their wattage on many units. Until about a month ago, they used a VERY low quality OEM and their units reflected it. If a coolermaster unit were to fail it would have a much higher risk of damaging components in the computer by over-volting. It also has a much higher risk of failure.

Plain and simple, they are not quality units.

Alright, build updated. I started this venture a couple weeks ago in hopes of doing the whole thing for $500-$600. Creeps up you.
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor (Microcenter $200.00)
Motherboard: MSI Z87-G41 PC Mate ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Microcenter $60.00)
Memory: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($76.99 @ Newegg)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($265.91 @ Newegg)
Wireless Network Adapter: Rosewill RNX-N250PCe 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($17.99 @ Newegg)
Case: DIYPC FM08-W MicroATX Mid Tower Case ($31.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: XFX 750W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($54.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.73 @ Outlet PC)
Monitor: AOC E2343FK 23.0" Monitor ($129.99 @ Microcenter)
Total: $910.58
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-11 17:59 EDT-0400)

!