Indian PC Gamers Use Twitter to Protest EA Price Hike

Status
Not open for further replies.

JJ1217

Honorable
The VPN thing doesn't work too well. One of my mates bought a key for BO2 from Russia, and despite him using a VPN, they caught onto his playing in different countries and took the game off him. Just EA being more greedy.

JJ1217

Honorable
and I find it funny, because India is a good place for business. If they have boycotters, they're gonna lose alot more money increasing prices then keeping them to acceptable prices.

Chairman Ray

Honorable
Jun 13, 2012
Before everyone starts thinking that all countries should pay equally, the price set in each country is determined by the equilibrium at which the profit is the highest. Software is often cheaper in countries such as India and China because currency is exchanged unfavorably for them, and average income is also low. If everyone had to pay the exact same amount in USD, then those countries would not be a market at all. I'm still curious as the the actual reason EA hiked the prices, because I'm having trouble believing the VPN issue is much bigger than the Indian market.

You are saying as if America rules the world.
The cost of living in different countries is different and so will be the prices of video games.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008

wow typical idiot american is the reason the rest of the world hates us. do you realize the cost of living is different throughout the world? probably not.

JJ1217

Honorable

I facepalmed. Not everyone earns the same wages. Considering the average pay from what I've heard is 35000-50000 rupees a year, 3500 rupees for single game would be 10% of their salary. Meaning maybe at top 1 game a year, ruling out other expenses.

Sovereign_Pwner

Honorable
Jun 14, 2013
Look, working at Subway as a part time job to get some cash in India you get 3000-5000 rupees a month. BS that EA is charging Rs. 3500 for Battlefield 4. They've brought the price of PC gaming up to where they charge for Console gaming. aka, BF3 was Rs. 1500 for PC but Rs. 2600 for the 360/PS3.

This is as bad as how much they're ripping off people in Australia. Friend Pre-Ordered BF4 for 90 Aussie Dollars (90 USD) from Origin. I ordered it for Rs. 3500 (70 USD) from a Retail shop. smh. A digital copy should be cheaper then a physical retail copy regardless.

MisterZ

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2012
I'm not American but even I agree that pricing should be the same around the world. If the product is the same, so should the price. Otherwise, if it's based on what a person's salary is, a Mercedes S-Class should only cost about 10 grand in India.

cooldudesubho

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012

Spoken like a true idiot.Games in india are cheaper cos they are manufactured there.There is no import duties.Increasing the price like this only will promote piracy.If they reduce the prices million of people will buy there games.Guess EA doesn't want to sell anything outside western countries.

Gundam288

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2011

While you are spot on about the piracy and prices, you are WAY off on the manufacturing. Origin has digital downloads and they are charging this price, how do you manufacture code? Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V? I could understand that for the consoles but for PC gamers in India it makes no sense as you need you link your game to your Origin account and run the client anyway.

EA needs to start dropping prices or they will have very few people buying games in India IMHO. I kinda feel that this is more of a money grab than it is to fight piracy.

Karthik Sankar

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Well EA games ,arent even worth buying anymore to be frank , but i dont see the reason for so much riot .....there are things cheaper in india that are not cheap in other countries .....just cuz the cost of living is low in india doesnt mean everything you want should be cheaper.

blotunga

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
I'm not sure why US customers are whining because they pay more than for example russians. I live in eastern europe and pay 30% more than in the US. And of course earn like 15% of what I would make in the states. :((

This is exactly true.

In USA and other developed countries, peoples earning is also much higher than those living India. They earn $2000 on an average and so are the prices of goods there which ultimately makes buying a game for $50 negligible for them. They do not mind paying for 1-2 games every month. But think about those who are living in India. If you scale US earning and expenditure in India, earning is $750 and so are expenses to live a similar lifestyle as anyone living in USA. If you would make games such ridiculously priced in India, who would want to spend $50 on it when all they earn is $750 and their rent is $200 out of it? I totally support the protest because I find it legit. EA is already falling due to their not so liked games and now they are intentionally or unintentionally trying to loose money from Indian market too.

This is exactly true.

In USA and other developed countries, peoples earning is also much higher than those living India. They earn $2000 on an average and so are the prices of goods there which ultimately makes buying a game for $50 negligible for them. They do not mind paying for 1-2 games every month. But think about those who are living in India. If you scale US earning and expenditure in India, earning is $750 and so are expenses to live a similar lifestyle as anyone living in USA. If you would make games such ridiculously priced in India, who would want to spend $50 on it when all they earn is $750 and their rent is $200 out of it? I totally support the protest because I find it legit. EA is already falling due to their not so liked games and now they are intentionally or unintentionally trying to loose money from Indian market too.

Karthik Sankar

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Well EA games ,arent even worth buying anymore to be frank , but i dont see the reason for so much riot .....there are things cheaper in india that are not cheap in other countries .....just cuz the cost of living is low in india doesnt mean everything you want should be cheaper.

I don't understand everyone defending the much lower prices in India. We are talking about a luxury item here not a necessity. It's not like we are talking about food, shelter or medicine. Should they pay less for a jet ski, an ATV, a big screen TV and other niceties as well?

Just because someone earns more money should they be price gouged? What about poor people in the US that want to game they should pay more because the average American makes more and be left out?

Perhaps businesses should just start requiring customers to bring in their IRS form 1040 and price accordingly based on net earnings. That way it doesn't matter if you make a million or a hundred a year as prices will be adjusted accordingly.

All this shows is that EA could be selling the games everywhere for a lower price.

If Indians can't afford to pay US prices they can wait until the price of the game drops. That's what I have done since high school. I rarely pay more than $10 for a game. Given that games which are two or three years old are less demanding this makes even more sense as the cost of hardware to handle the game is more in the realm of these "poor" gamers.

I use quotations on "poor" because somehow they can afford the expensive gaming computer but not the games. This tells me these Indian gamers are already apart of the middle or upper classes of India. A poor Indian is not going to own a $500+ dollar computer and replace it every two years to even moderately handle new games.

The poor Indians everyone keeps mentioning are more concerned about feeding and clothing their children. Not luxury items like modern video games on a modern gaming rig.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
Hahaha my chances of buying BF4 just went from 0 to -1.

Anyway, who cares. Haven't brought a single EA game since BF3. Well, two days ago i bought NFS Shift because:
1) 70% off on Steam
2) No Origin
3) No need to have an EA account
4) Slightly Mad Studios is independent
5) it had a demo which i liked.

Apart from that, Activision and EA aren't seeing sales from me. The rest of the country torrents anyway XD

Status
Not open for further replies.