I need an inexpensive good wireless n router

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
I'm looking to find a good wireless n router under $50? I don't care if it's refurbished but not used. I live in a small apt but have about 5 wireless devices that need to connect to it. I have a Linksys n adapter already, just need the router that can use the n feature. I also stream movies a lot.

I'm very limited in my finances so I thought maybe someone here can guide me in a direction where I can get something descent for a good price.

Thanks

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
I personally like: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122235

I stream (netflix/hulu) from 2 TVs, have a kindle fire HD, and 2 PCs hooked and up and down streaming video and playing games at all times, have had the router 2 years. I have the WRN2000v2 model however.

Here's a list of routers:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100010076%204025%20600014259&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

Sorted by rating $25-50, read the reviews, pick one you like.

tnks2hp

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2013
Thanks. I looked at the Netgear you have and it sounds enough for me. Although with everything I'm reading, I'm thinking should I get an ac router instead? But then I would have to buy another nic adapter. I'll probably stick with n for now. Thanks for the tip.

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Correct, though the 802.11ac router will have backward compatibility should you want to upgrade in the future and still use 802.11n functionality from it in the meantime.

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Over the past 3 years the quality from Linksys has become questionable at best. But don't just take my word on it, look at reviews of products before purchasing to see what you may be getting yourself into.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYenK10uP1Q

Prior to then I suggested Linksys/Cisco to friends and coworkers, but having to RMA Linksys more and more often as of late, so I suggest Netgear in comparison despite the lack of support Netgear provides. To which Linksys' technical support is superior to Netgears. I have had less need for support from Netgear in comparison to Linksys/Cisco products. I deal with networking often as I am the network and server administrator for the company I work for.
My personal preference however is in favor of ASUS branded products, they provide me with a decent mix of support, stability, utilities, and performance. But I don't believe the OP is in need of SMB/FTP services that the ASUS products provide.

LEDPros

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
Nice little video but the details are quite lacking.

As far as indicator lights, I have never seen a router that doesn't indicate if the LAN port is connected, at very least on the back near the port itself. As far as any other lights, I never use them. Ping the router if you want to know if its alive and connected.

To me, a router with a good antenna array and ability to take a DDWRT firmware package is what I look for. And if I know there will be many users on it, a faster processor always helps.

fyrye

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
Nice little video but the details are quite lacking. You seem upset that Linksys doesn't have blinking lights or a good wizard setup utility... which I find amusing if you're a technician. I am not even a tech, but I would never use a wizard setup program on any product, linksys or netgear or asus, etc. Those utilities in general are always for the lazy who don't really know what they're doing, and probably shouldn't be doing it.

As far as indicator lights, I have never seen a router that doesn't indicate if the LAN port is connected, at very least on the back near the port itself. As far as any other lights, I never use them. Ping the router if you want to know if its alive and connected.

To me, a router with a good antenna array and ability to take a DDWRT firmware package is what I look for. And if I know there will be many users on it, a faster processor always helps.

Your post seems to have been directed toward me in an attempt to antagonize me. Which would have been better placed in a private message.
Sorry to dissapoint you but it is not me in the video, simply someone else who has also had multiple negative experiences with the quality provided by linksys in comparison to netgear in 2012.
I am however an A+ certified technician of 13 years.

The general home end user simply wants to plug in and play, which generally entails using the setup wizard. Most of which don't know what ping is or does. They have other things to do than to learn how computers work. Moreover flashing to a modified firmware like DD-WRT or Tomato. I too prefer DD-WRT but wouldn't recommend someone with little technical knowledge to attempt flashing to it as it can result in bricking the router, some of which are not recoverable.

I am simply trying to save the OP from the same disappointment by encouraging them to read the reviews to see what they are actually buying. Rather than blindly following a recommendation of "quality product" from a company that has a proven track record for producing low quality products for the past few years. With that said Netgear has a proven track record of providing horrible technical support, leading up to charging you for phone support after 90 days after purchasing the product.
I believe Netgear is trying to focus more on enterprise/small business products with licensed support having purchased several UTM 150 Firewalls.

LEDPros

Honorable
Jun 5, 2013
I wasn't trying to antagonize. Sorry if it came off that way.

Myself, I have had much better luck with linksys products over netgear. The WNDR3700 is really nice though, I had one. But as far as the linksys problems, I really don't understand... I think it's more user error, and maybe that's due to a poor setup wizard but again it's just not something I would use anyway.

The OP never stated his networking abilities, but to set up a router with basic settings to get online is usually a piece of cake even if you never did it before. It takes just a few min to follow an online guide off google...

Most of those wizards too, people skip the parts they don't understand or think they don't need. That's why you see so many "linksys" wide-open networks out there. When you follow an online tutorial, there will be warnings as to parts you shouldn't skip.