New GTX 660 SC. System crashes/reboots in games

Hi there, I recently bought a new Geforce GTX 660 Super Clocked. After uninstalling the AMD drivers for my previous card (Powercolor Radeon HD 6850) which worked fine, I installed the latest Nvidia drivers. Sadly, after around 5 minutes of playing any intensive games my system crashes or reboots. This doesn't occur with TF2. Occasionally the PSU needs to be switched off and left for a few minutes to allow the system to turn back on. I don't think its an over heating issue as it stays below 70c pretty much all the time. I have tried using older Nvidia drivers but the problem still persists. This could very well be an issue with the power supply as it is a year old and was quite cheap. I want to know of any other possible fixes before spending any money. Thanks in advance.

My system specs-
ASUS M5A78L USB3 motherboard
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core CPU
GeForce GTX 660 SC 2GB GPU
Alpine 750W Quiet Silent PSU
9 answers Last reply
More about gtx 660 system crashes reboots games
  1. AMD FX 4100 bottlenecks the GTX 660 because i used to have one. and yes, there is something wrong with your PSU. whats the ratings on the 12V rail for it?
  2. Upgrader011 said:
    AMD FX 4100 bottlenecks the GTX 660 because i used to have one. and yes, there is something wrong with your PSU. whats the ratings on the 12V rail for it?

    Thanks for the advice on the CPU. How do I find the ratings of the 12v rail?
  3. should be on the side of the PSU or the box the PSU you came in
  4. Upgrader011 said:
    should be on the side of the PSU or the box the PSU you came in

    38 Amps and 684W are the 2 values below it on the table on the PSU. Are they what your looking for?
  5. yes. do you see something that says +12V? is there any number aligning to that grid with the +12V? or is that the 38 Amps
  6. Upgrader011 said:
    yes. do you see something that says +12V? is there any number aligning to that grid with the +12V? or is that the 38 Amps

    Its the 38 Amps
  7. okay then it meets the requirements but i think there might be a problem with your PSU
  8. Upgrader011 said:
    okay then it meets the requirements but i think there might be a problem with your PSU

    I'll be replacing it no matter what. It was very cheap so I don't really trust it. Thanks for the help :)
  9. eddyboy said:
    Upgrader011 said:
    okay then it meets the requirements but i think there might be a problem with your PSU

    I'll be replacing it no matter what. It was very cheap so I don't really trust it. Thanks for the help :)


    yeah cheap PSUs arent good. theyre not good quality. i think that is your problem! I recommend a Corsair 600W or more for your build
Ask a new question

Read More

Gtx Drivers Games Geforce Components