QNAP TS-469L vs Synology DS1513+

JohnyBGood

Honorable
Jul 11, 2013
The Synology 5-bay is almost $300 more than the QNAP 4-bay, so I realize they're in slightly differently classes, but these are the 2 NAS I am looking at (they use the same Atom 2.13GHz CPU). $568.99CAD vs $847.13CAD (both including shipping, but before taxes).

I found the Synology after reading a review that stated the QNAP didn't have flawless 1080p playback via HDMI that you get from a PC. That's when I decided to think about data only.

I don't really need the 5-bay...a 3-bay would be perfect for me, actually (2X 3TB of data + 1X 3TB as backup). I like the fact that the DS1513+ states 350.94MB Read vs QNAP's 221.8 MB/sec. Is this because of refined software, or because of its 4 LAN ports? How exactly do 4 LAN ports give Synology an edge if used in a home with 1 internet and 1 router?

I'd really like to save the money and get QNAP if you guys can't see many differences, but if I'm going to be using this for the next 5+ years I'd prefer to get the better/faster NAS.

popatim

Titan
get whichever one you want. the Synology has greater expansion potential than the qnap (thanks to an expansion cabinet) which it doesnt sound like you need.

You wont seen much over 100mb/s over a single gigabit network link. You can team gigabit ports (multiple ports acting as one - kinda of like raid) to get greater speed but you would need to match the multiport config in your desktop too to see it.

I would not recommend either of these for an HTPC though qnap does have an app for thiers. They are NAS's - use them as such.