CPU Heatsink for ASUS Z87 need to be PWM?

ckellmeyer

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
After reading several forums on several sites, I am confused as to if i need to ensure that the CPU Heatsink fan i get is PWM or not. I will be using the 4670k and an ASUS Z87 pro or plus, and I plan to leverage the ASUS fan-expert2/4-way optimization. outside of the OC'ing from the 4-way opt., not sure about any further OCing - but hope to get to 4.4 or 4.5 with that...

Certainly open to recommendations as well ($20-$40 maybe). i like the look of the NZXT respire T40 but don't think its PWM.

Thanks!

p.s. case is Fractal R4 or new NZXT H230...(if it matters)

ckellmeyer

Honorable
Jun 24, 2013
I was under the impression that PWM was required for variable speed fan speeds, and without it the fan was on or off. and thus for a quieter, more efficient system; i would want cariable speed and thus a PWM cooler... is this incorrect? (As is said before, i am confused on this topic...)

Buzz247

Honorable
Mar 18, 2013
PWM uses a microprocessor control. Regular non pwm fans can be controlled by voltage potentiometers. PWM microprocessor simply allows control via set points coorelated to thermal inputs more precisely. Voltage (3pin fans) can do the same with controllers used. There is no distict advantage