Bent socket pin... How far is too far?

scooterbaga

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
Hello,

I'm using a 4770k and a ASUS z87-WS. I butterfingered the CPU install and dropped the corner of the CPU into the socket pins.

It's difficult to notice, but one single pin is slightly off-center from it's neighbors. I had to take pictures with my phone to really confirm there was one that was a little off.

Should I roll the dice and install the cooler, etc? Or should I attempt to straighten a pin that I can barely tell is bent?

Thanks.

G

I accidently bent the pin on my motherboard when I removed my 3770K a few days ago. When I put the CPU back into the socket the pin bent back into the correct position.

It's up to you whether or not you put the CPU in.

In order to assess it, I would need to see a picture.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
Can try and straighten with a pair of razor blades, one in the aisles to either side and squeeze gently together, then do same at a right angle down the aisles and squeeze...will generally straighten it out pretty well, run into this quite often, though more with AMD where the pins are on the CPU........just take your time...

scooterbaga

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
[strike][/strike]

When bending the pin back, does it have to be perfect? I can't post pictures until I get home. If I had to guess, I'd say it's close enough that I'm in a "you'll have to try it and see" situation...

G

Just as long as it makes contact with the contact point on the CPU, it should be fine.

scooterbaga

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Here's a link:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/r2hg8st4lcrgasv/j2Yx685Q5z

I tried to highlight the area best I could. The more I look at it, the less damaged it seems. I'm probably in denial...

G

I found it rather difficult to see it and assess the damage :D. But I know it's a pain in the arse to get a good picture of a CPU socket.

Personally, it doesn't look too offset. You could attempt to bend it back into place and risk doing more damage or possibly fix it. But I reckon it'll be OK without tending to it. But that's just how I see it. Let's see what the others think. :)

I know motherboards for Haswell are quite expensive, but it's up to you what you want to do.

scooterbaga

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

Image size too small, or just bad angle? In the bottom right, you should see the option to view original. Those images are huge.

How stupid would it be to try and just get the build to post with the cooler on without paste?

G

I know the images are huge. I already viewed the originals.

It wouldn't be stupid at all to try it without paste or a cooler, but only for a few seconds. I've done it in the past and no permanent damage has ever been done. But only for a few seconds.

scooterbaga

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

"New CPU detected!" ...%@#$ ya!
Haven't seen such a robust post screen before, but no complaints here. If I'm seeing anything at all it's safe to move forward, correct?

Thanks everyone, for your input.

...Now, if I could just figure out what the 6-pin power connection in the middle of the board is for, I think I'd be golden.

G

If it has detected a CPU, you should be good to go.

If you run into any problems, we (or at least I) wouldn't mind hear you moan about them :D.

And about the 6-pin power connection ...

A 6-Pin power connector adds additional power to the four PCI-e 3.0 x16 expansion slots, there are two PCI-e 3.0 x1 slots on the motherboard too.
Info here.