Graphics card (GT 640) not displaying anything on my monitor

Koritsuyuutsu

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
One of my computers has decided not to display anything on my monitor, here's my system specifications:

DELL Inspiron 620 Mini Tower Case
DELL Inspiron 620 Motherboard
CIT 450w Gold 12CM PSU
ASUS GeForce GT 640 GPU
Intel i3-2100 CPU
Crucial 4GB (2x2GB)

I recently bought a new PSU and GPU evidently for this Dell system. I've had the GPU for just over a week, and I woke up this morning finding that when I turned it on it wouldn't display anything on my monitor.

I'm connected through VGA to a monitor with the resolution of 1366x768. When the computer is turned on, the monitor just remains in power save mode, as if nothing's connected. I restart the monitor and it flashes saying it's going into power save mode because there's nothing detected.

What I've Tried:
So I tried to eliminate what it could be. I switched VGA cables, no change. I switched monitors, no change. I took out my RAM cards and started the computer up, and the motherboard made beeping sounds, apparently meaning that it isn't my motherboard.

I checked that the GPU was actually on, and it is - the fan does spin. So I removed the card and brushed the socket with a gentle brush, and the PCI slot with the same brush, that did nothing. I connected my VGA cable to my integrated graphics, and I got my boot screen, but then it went straight to a screen saying that I need to plug my VGA cable into my enabled graphics card, because the integrated one had been disable.

I took out the CD/DVD plugs and started it, nothing. I took out the HDD plugs and started it, nothing. I tried my old 300w PSU that came with the system, and nothing came of that either.

So I've come to a conclusion that something's wrong with my GT 640. What can be done?

_____

I don't know if this helps, but the night before, I had windows updates installing onto my computer. Apparently faulty drivers are never the cause of a graphics card simply not displaying though, so I doubt it has anything to do with that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Solution

I have the VGA directly into the GPU. This is what other slots I have, I don't have a DVI/VGA adapter, but if you think there's a chance it might fix this then I'd be more than happy to!

4yh5Deel.jpg

I'll try that too, I know a friend...
A simple way to check the card is to try it in another computer. If you get nothing on the screen at all, not even the BIOS screen, it's probably a bad card. I have seen card issues with drivers showa black screen, but in those cases it's after Windows starts to load.

Koritsuyuutsu

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013

I have the VGA directly into the GPU. This is what other slots I have, I don't have a DVI/VGA adapter, but if you think there's a chance it might fix this then I'd be more than happy to!

4yh5Deel.jpg

I'll try that too, I know a friend who'll let me.

Solution