Ecc halts first build need help

Jreiri

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hello there, Im in the process of my first build and have come to a stand still i cant decide on cpu motherboard and ram currently i have:

Cooler Master Storm Trooper case
Corsair 1200i
Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum
Asrock OC Formula ac (already want to sell)
2 x Kingston 120 gb ssds
2 x 1tb hdd

Was just about sold on a i7 4770k to go with the board from asrock but to learn about ecc and that the haswells and my new board dont support it put me right off intel and now im back to Amd with a fx 8300 with good power ratings and overclocking headroom but now i cant find any suitable amd motherboards that support ecc and the ecc registered ram to go with, i believe in having ecc and unlocked cpus and credit amd for supporting these features i dont think i'l ever think about supporting intel chips or boards no matter what the benchmarks say

Am wanting to use as a highend gaming/programming/video editing/server grade machine, planning on overclocking cpu once watercooled, and overclocking and crossfiring another card once needed, no doubt will add even more goodies down the track so dont worry bout the 1200i maybe overkill now but wont be in the future

If anyone can help with motherboard, water cooling parts, ram or anything else please do

dont really have a budget but dont wana waste money just keen to buy good quality long lasting reasonably high tech gear

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/ It supports ECC unbuffered memory; if you want registered ECC, then you'll have to get an Opteron or a Xeon along with a workstation/server motherboard with an appropriate chipset.

Tradesman1 is correct when he says that ECC is slower. I have two systems with non-ECC (16 and 32GB) to run a bunch of VMs and I haven't had a crash caused by a memory error. One system has been used 24x7 and it never crashed because of a memory fault for a couple years.

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum
ECC is still used, but is somewhat outdated with todays technology, the original PCs came out with a full extra bank of DRAM that was used only for parity checking...For whatever reason, ECC just keeps popping up

Jreiri

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
yeah as well as a high end gaming/programming/ video editing machine id like to operate as a mini server and host a few websites, and whilst having data integrity in mind not worried about small cost difference and small performance degradation ecc registered ram and supported motherboard and cpu is a must, i really dont wana be bothered with intel xeons if i have to id rather pay more for amd opterons, but back to original question can i buy a high tech motherboard that will support the ecc supported amd fx 8300 and ecc registered ram

Jreiri

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
apparently on wiki its only 3% slower which is nothing,asus crosshair v formula z no good because it doesnt support my video card in pcie3.0 and id like registered memory, cant afford chances of financial records to become corrupted

Jreiri

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
If its good enough for multi million dollar companies to have and i can have it at a small cost then thats good enough for me, so are you saying that if I want to have what i want i cant do it with a fx 8300 or are you not a 100% sure

You can't with an FX-8300 because it doesn't support registered memory. If you absolutely want registered ECC, then go with an Opteron or a Xeon.

No AMD motherboard supports PCIe 3.0 and yopu don't trust an Intel system without ECC memory.

No desktop chipset supports registered ECC memory.

Newegg list 64 server/workstation motherboards that support registered ECC: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007629+600016286+600023033&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&IsNodeId=1&Subcategory=302&description=&hisInDesc=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&AdvancedSearch=1&srchInDesc=

You can choose single, dual or quad Xeon or Opteron processors, but no overclocking. You don't want to overclock a server and risk data corruption from the processor or other components (I never do and my servers are stable without ECC memory, but I always use quality components). Having ECC memory is excellent, but the whole system has to be stable. ECC memory won't protect the system if the processor generates erroneous results when overclocked.

Jreiri

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
first of all i found an amd motherboard that supports pcie 3.0 it is the http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/SABERTOOTH_990FXGEN3_R20/#overview

so now i begin to question your knowledge again because you proved yourself wrong, and we both know there is a real lack of amd motherboards that have the equivalent to intel supported motherboards the question should be why, and your telling me an amd fx 8300 doesnt support registered ecc so does it support any ecc or is just a setting in the bios, and when you find out can you prove it with facts not just because it doesnt include it in newegg like the motherboard i found. Problem is noone seems to be able to give me 100% clarity with backed up sources of information

TRENDING THREADS