drivers disappeared in an upgrade from windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit

Stalkedlemon

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Hi there:)

I upgraded up computers windows 7 from 32 bit to 64 bit and all of my drivers vanished. Also anything i had installed is now uninstalled (including my graphics card and motherboard stuff), even though i can still see all of the files for the programs under a folder named "windows.old" which was created when i upgraded.

Is there any easy way to find and re-install all of my programs, drivers and hardware, or do i need to trawl through the files manually to find all of the relevent information?

G

Hi,

It's normal for all the old files to be moved to windows.old when upgrading or new installation.

If you downloaded the programs and drivers before upgrading you should be able to find them in your Downloads folder in the windows.old folder (Users/your user/Downloads) as long as you didn't delete them. If you have deleted them or if you never had them on your disk drive, you will need to manually search and re-acquire them if necessary.

Since there is no direct upgrade path from 32-bit to 64-bit this is perfectly normal. You will have to reinstall all software from the original media. You cannot run your programs from Windows.old. You will also have to download 64-bit drivers as your old 32-bit drivers will not run now.

TRENDING THREADS